Well it has been a helluva couple days. My counts have continued to drop, rendering me overwhelmingly exhausted. It is exhaustion beyond anything that I have ever experienced or imagined. Today was better than yesterday, but I still think I slept 90% of the day.
My counts from yesterday and today are as follows:
Day+2
W=1.4
H=9.8
P=17
Day+3
W=0.3
H=8.8
P=6
They take my blood every morning between 2 am and 4 am. When they found that my platelets had dropped so dramatically this morning they gave me a blood transfusion of platelets. This will occur whenever they drop below 10. It was the first time I have ever had a transfusion, but I had no complications and slept through most of it.
They continue to keep me protected against infection with IV Vancomycin, Cipro, and Fluconozole. All of them are very broad antimicrobials that should kill any bugs that come after me. I have had very little nausea, mainly just fatigue and GI distress. Of course they have drugs for that too.
At this point it is just a waiting game. My counts will continue to drop for another 3-4 days. They continue to give me Neupogen daily to help stimulate some growth. Eventually, my numbers will start coming back up and I will start to feel better. At this point it isn't any fun, but it is bearable. As I said before I came in here, I can endure anything for a week or two. I guess that hypothesis is being tested.
Thank you all for your support and prayers.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
Dr.Matt,
The fight will continue, but rest assured that the prayers and well wishes will also continue, I have been involved with many groups over the years, and there has never been anyone who has had the number of prayers said, and well wishes than you. So hang in there!! Our thoughts and prayers are with you, Megan,and Ethan.
Jackie
Thanks so much for the notes. We're thinking and praying for you and your family. Take care. Go Blue.
Hold on Matt! You will make it. As you sleep, we pray, so you are covered!
Love, the Holmeses
Matt your courage and attitude is astounding and a measure for others to follow. We are keeping a candle lit for you and you are in our daily prayers. We don't see our beautiful great-grandson Ethan much but as long as he is with you is what is important. We can wait!
God bless and keep up the fight.
Jim & Kathy
Some Qs for you, if you feel up to answering: Are you still on the chemo? Is that why your numbers continue to drop? I thought that Day 0 was when the chemo ended and the cell infusion and re-building began, so now I'm confused.
Matt,
I just learned about your latest challenge and after seeing your blog, I'm not the least bit surprised that you have managed to fight hard and stay positive throughout. Keep fightin' like hell and know that there are many of us thinking about you!
-Rishi
Just had a chance to check in and see how you all are doing. Even though I haven't been reading the last couple days, you all have been on my mind. YEAH to Ethan for crawling...you are right, watch out!! I am sure Megan is getting a crash course in how to make the hotel room baby proofed. :) Now you all can sigh and remember the days when you could fasten him in a boucy chair and go about your things. Not anymore! Keep up the spirit and rest, rest, rest. We are sending you happy thoughts!
Megan
Hang in there buddy, tough week. You are an inspiration to me. As you can imagine I have seen a fair number of cancer patients, but no one with your strength, grace, or clarity of mind and purpose.
Booker
Dear Matt - I was glad to hear about this blog yesterday at church. You are all in my thoughts and prayers during this incredibly tough time. Ethan looks like a handful and must be a bright spot in your days. Sending good vibes your way!
Toni
Post a Comment