Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Day 0

I received my stem cells this morning, and it went very smoothly. I had a little more nausea this time and some tightness in the chest, but those are common side effects that go away after about an hour. Overall I feel more tired this time, but that is easily attributed to the fact that I was still tired from the last round when I arrived here. Thankfully I got my best night of sleep last night so I feel pretty good today.

My counts remain strong. Below are my counts from the past three days.

Day -2
W=4.8
H=8.2
P=335

Day -1
W=1.9
H=7.9
P=297

Day 0
W=4.4
H=7.8
P=248

My HCG on Monday had risen again, but only up to 276. This is an expected rise and is still a low number. If you remember, my HCG at the start of the last round was around 8000 and we cut it to 90. I am very confident that this round will take care of a small number like 276!

The stem cell infusion remains a very strange process. As the cells are infused I get a strong tomato soup taste from the preservative. I should have had a grilled cheese sandwich with it! It is just now going away, so maybe I can eat some lunch, but I will continue to breath off the preservative for the next couple of days. So my room will smell like tomato soup. The truly odd aspect of this is that I am the only one that cannot smell it. I guess that is good since I spend the most time here. I don't think I will be ordering any tomato soup in the next couple of days.

On a disappointing note, Megan has been feeling under the weather the last couple of days and has stayed in Toledo. It is not how we had planned this, but she needs to stay there and get better before she comes down to see me. We are approaching this like everything else; we can get through a week of whatever is thrown at us if it means we will have the rest of our lives together. It is good to know that we are both in good hands. I have excellent care here in Indy and Megan has her parents and grandmother looking after her and Ethan.

This may mean that our blogging will slow down a bit as my symptoms increase and she is not here to take over. We will keep fighting and know that your love and prayers will help to pull us through to the other side.

Oh yes, and to answer your questions, I am pulling for State, even though I had Louisville in the National Championship game. Go Big Ten!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Louisville?!? What were you thinking??? I had UNC beating MSU in the finals, and I had 3 of 4 of the Final Four correct (I messed up on Villanova, like apparently everybody else). I guess that explains why I'm 5 of 28 in the Dolabaugh Picks! :)

Heather

Anonymous said...

The engineer in me can't help but look at the data you are providing. It appears that on day 0 last time your W number was only .8 and this time you are at 4.4 on day 0. I have no idea if that is really good but it seems good to me. Have a nice sleep and we'll look forward to a great recovery in a week or so.

Anne
P.S. I'm wearing my Michigan State T-shirt today!

Anonymous said...

Matt - I just wanted to let you know that the Early Birds(Wednesday morning prauer group) are praying for you and yours every week. You are much on all our minds.

Many hugs from Toni Mann ;-))

Anonymous said...

OOoops! Should have previewed my last post. You probably figured out Early Birds are a praYer group!

Additional, slightly sheepish hugs from Toni