Stem Cell Infusion Day. I got a good night sleep last night after saying a lot of prayers before bed. I felt very strong this morning and decided I was not going to take this laying down, so I got up at 7:30 to take a walk. My infusion was at 8:30, and they were right on time. They infused 3 bags of stem cells over 20 minutes. They bring the frozen bags into the room in liquid nitrogen tanks, and thaw them on the spot. As soon as the infusion starts there is an odd taste almost immediately, for me it was tomato soup. It also gives off an odor that I cannot smell, but others in the room smell for up to 24 hours. That is the preservative that I am breathing off and is excreted through my cells.
The expected side effects were shortness of breath, coughing, nausea, vomiting, fever, flushing, and tightness of chest. Thankfully all I experienced was coughing and slight nausea. I guess I dodged another bullet!
I feel really good right now. Just a little groggy. I will just have to rest the next few days. They expect my counts to go back up after the infusion, since there are mature WBC in with the Stem Cells, but then by the end of the week my count will drop to <0.2. At that time they will give me more Neupogen to stimulate the stem cells to do their thing! So it will be an up and down week ahead for sure. I will just keep plugging along until we beat this!
Today's blood counts are:
W=0.8
H=9.5
P=58
Last night Ethan crawled for the first time at the hotel, and is apparently very excited to be doing so. Megan took some video of the occasion for me, and I can't wait to see him crawling in person. Now the trouble begins.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
You ain't the only one praying, Matt.
Yahoo! That's a big hurdle behind you. Ethan sounds adorable. Isn't it a miracle when they start to move and are so proud of themselves? Praying constantly,
Jan Holmes
Hi Matt
Thinking of you. Go Blue!
Heather
Hi Matt,
Kathy Buelter gave me your blog address so I read about your treatment. As you probably remember, I went through something similar in the 1970's and 1980's. I had Hodgekin's disease twice and went through 2 years of chemotherapy and 12 weeks of radiation therapy. And I'm still here 30 years later! I know how hard it is to go through the treatments -- keep up with your positive attitude! I also spent a long time in the hospital --I was suprised to hear you had a bike! My only suggestion is to hire someone to come in and give you a massage. If your doctors agree it is ok -- I liked that when I was in the hospital for a long time.
My prayers are with you! Janet Monroe
Hey, while you're resting, you should consider signing onto Facebook... it's a great time-passer and lots of people from UM are on there to chat with, stalk, etc. Oops, did I say "stalk"? I mean, check in with.
-Wendy
Praying for you daily. What a special person you are Matt! I am completely inspired by your relentless determination through your faith. I thank you for blogging, keeping your support group up to date.
May you continue to draw on the things in your life that bring you complete joy; God, Megan, Ethan, your parents, sister and brother in-law and your extended family and friends. Remember that the joy of the Lord is your strength!
Can't wait for your personal testimony of God's faithfulness in this.
Praying daily that you continue to fight hard and beat this thing!
Love always,
Erin
Post a Comment