Monday, December 15, 2008

Round 3, Day 1

I am sitting here in the St. Joseph Cancer Center, 2/3 rd's of the way through my first bag of chemo (etoposide). I am feeling good, thanks to many anti-nausea drugs. I met with my oncologist this morning prior to the start of chemo. My WBC count was back up to 4.2. That is good news; normal is 4.0 to 10.0. So I am just barely back in the normal range. Now with this week's chemo treatment it will drop again.

My oncologist also said I looked great. He confirmed that the pulmonary function test from last week was perfectly normal. He reaffirmed that he is very pleased with my progress thus far, and the treatment is working very well. We also schedule my fourth and final round of chemo. It will begin on January 5 and my last day of chemo will be January 20! Just over a month to go. After that he will re-evaluate me to decide what further treatment is needed. Usually there are remnants of the tumors that may be treated surgically, with more chemo, or with radiation. He continues to believe that the drop in the tumor marker indicates that the tumors are greatly reduced as well. We have not been able to retrieve the results of the CT scan done at Wyandotte Hospital yet to confirm the expected reduction in tumor size.

From my blood draw today they will check the tumor markers again and I should have the results by Wednesday.

I hope everyone is doing well and surviving the cold weather (depending on where you live). Ethan rolled over for the first time by himself last night after celebrating Grandpa's birthday with him. He continues to be a joy and is great fun to play with these days. His personality is really starting to come through, and like many boys, he enjoys wrestling with dad. I have the scratches to prove it.

Thank you all for following my progress and sending you thoughts and prayers. This blog has helped me chronicle and cope with what I am going through, and is an easy way to keep many people informed. I did not, however, expect how much strength it would give me. Thank you all for giving me strength through your support, love, and kindness.

Peace be with you all.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Matt,

I firmly believe that your positive attitude will be your biggest ally in your fight. You are an inspiration to all of us who care about you! Have a happy holiday and enjoy that little guy, he will grow up faster than you can imagine.

Gary Olsen

Anonymous said...

Dr. Matt
We are all so glad you are feeling good. The pictures of Ethan are so cute! He is such a big boy already. Tell Megan we missed her at the cookie exchange and hope to see her Wednesday.
Theresa McCarthy

Anonymous said...

Matt,

Glade to hear things are going so well. Your positive attitude and outlook is not only helping you but other people. Thank you for sharing your experience with all of us. Best of luck in the balance of your treatment and have a great Christmas Holiday. I know Kristen and I will miss the usual Christmas get together we have every year. Take care and talk to you soon. You are always in our prayers.

Regards,
Mark Faust
And Family

Jamie said...

I just finished reading back through all your entries and I have to say I am beyond impressed with your courage, stamina, and positive outlook, Matt. It's truly inspiring to me. My aunt is also fighting right now and her outlook matches yours. You both remind me what it is to be courageous and truly positive. Emily and I have been thinking about you, Megan and Ethan daily since we heard. Keep up the fight!! You're a bad-ass.