It's Sunday morning, December 14 (Happy Birthday Dad), and I start round 3 tomorrow. I have had over a week off from Chemo and am feeling great. I have had some good news this week regarding my thyroid. On Thursday we saw the endocrinologist and he said my thyroid is back to normal. If anything, I may now have a little hypothyroidism. The good news is that I no longer have to take the thyroid medication for hyperthyroidism, so that means two less medications to take each day.
I also had some news from my blood draw on Tuesday. I was hoping that my white blood cell count would have really rebounded during this week off. If it was normal, I was looking forward to getting out this weekend and going to Megan's aunt's surprise birthday party yesterday, and to church this morning. Unfortunately, my WBC count was still 2.5. So I am still quarantined to the condo for now. It is hard staying home like you are sick, when you are not actually sick. On the other hand, I am happy that I am not sick!
Speaking of being quarantined to the condo, we signed a purchase agreement on Tuesday. That's right, we actually sold the condo! We are scheduled to close on December 29th, and we plan to rent a place for awhile. This has been a long process. Besides having the condo on the market since April with just this one offer, the buyer had told us several times over the last couple months that she was going to make an offer and it never came. So finally it did, and though is not what we were hoping for, it is a palatable loss. In this market that may be all we can ask for.
The other news from the blood draw is that the Coumadin and Lovenox have not changed my bleeding time yet, so they increased my Coumadin dose. Their hope is that by the middle of the week it will be at a therapeutic dose and I will no longer have to take the Lovenox. That makes me very happy, because the Lovenox is the injection that I have to give myself everyday. The shot itself really isn't that bad; I think the worst part is the psychology of it. It's a small needle and truly is a small pick, but the thought of sticking a needle in your belly is what I have to pump myself up for everyday. I thought that I was sensitized enough to needles that it would be nothing. I give shots everyday at work, and I grew up getting allergy shots in my arm on a regular basis. That's not even mentioning the countless blood draws I have had in the last couple of months. I think that if I had to give myself a shot in the arm or leg is would be easier than the stomach. I hear 90% of my patients tell me that they hate needles, and now I will be able to sympathize more with them. I guess if the location of the injection has a strong effect on the psychology of the experience, the mouth is certainly one of those sites. Unfortunately I have not come up with an alternative for the dental injection just yet.
What I do know is that I will be very happy when I no longer have to stab myself in the stomach everyday.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Hi Matt. I found out about your blog from Schmidty who told Corrie, who told me. Funny how no matter how old we get, info still flows through the same 'ol channels. I just wanted to tell you that many of your friends from the past (I mostly speak on behalf of the band gang) are thinking of you and wishing you well during what sounds like an alternatly fantastic (congrats on being a new Dad!) and challenging time. Merry Christmas!
Yay!!! Congrats on selling the condo. I know its been a long haul for you.
Thanks for all the support for my nieces friend. I can't say how uplifting you are and praise God for your wellingness to share. We can only keep her in our prayers and hope she will turn to God, her friends and family as you have. Love Ya Lana
Post a Comment