I spent the day at the hospital on Thursday, but had much better news than the last day spent there. It was the last day of chemo for round two, and a day of follow up tests on my port and my lungs.
I began the day with a dye study of the port to see if it was still functional. The concern was that the DVT I suffered the week before may have involved a blockage of the port by the blood clot. They accessed the port and injected it with dye, then took an x-ray to see if the dye flowed through the port and the catheter (into the superior vena cava). The port was 'wide open' as the doctor said, and I could see it on the x-ray. This means that I could use the port for my chemo that day, and that it would not have to be replaced. The other aspect of the x-ray that I noticed was the clarity of my bronchus (wind pipe). When the mass was found in my chest last month it was pushing my bronchi to the side and compressing it about 50%. On the x-ray the bronchus was straight and did not appear compressed. It is certainly not definitive, but it looked promising.
My chemo treatment went well, and I received some more good news about my blood counts. The HCG tumor marker has continued to drop, and is was 1360 on December 1! If you recall, I started out at >200,000 and was at 5000 at the start of the second round. Normal is 0-5. So I still have a little way to go, but my progress thus far is greater than expected and very encouraging.
My white blood cells continue to be low, however. My count on December 1 was 1.6 and on December 4 was 1.8. The lowest it dropped in the last round was 1.7. My neutrophils dropped to 0.3 this round, as opposed to 0.7 in the last round. These are all indications of how well my body can fight off infection. Basically it can't, so I have been staying quarantined at home lately. Thankfully I have Megan and Ethan to keep me company and entertained.
After I completed the chemo, I had another pulmonary function test. I had a baseline test before I began the first round of chemo. This test measures the capacity and function of my lungs. The bleomycin has the ability to affect the lungs, as did the blood clot if it had moved. The test showed that my lungs were functioning normally, and even slightly better than when I started treatment.
I still feel great, and I now have a little reprieve from treatment. I will start the next round of chemo on December 15, so I have a whole week off! Whatever shall I do?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Matt, Megan, and (of course) Ethan,
Having just recently learned of your diagnosis and reading Matt's blog from the beginning, I must say you are truly an inspiration and an example of how to make the best of any situation.
Ann and I will continue to 'check-up' on you through your blog, but also wanted to say congrats on the wonderful addition to your family. We saw pictures of Ethan and Cale together recently and even UofM paraphenalia couldn't affect how beautiful they both are.
Ethan is adorable and we look forward to meeting him and seeing you all when Matt is in better health (should be sooner than later the way Matt's treatment seems to be going!).
Keep your positive attitude, Matt, and this will all be behind you soon enough. I like your approach in avoiding the 'why me?' path, as nobody should have to confront such an unfair disease. Thanks for providing us with this window on your thoughts as you continue your fight against cancer- you're in our prayers from here on out!
All our love,
Derek and Ann Nevar
Matt,
I appreciate you keeping the blog going and up to date. You are an inspiration to the Faust family as a whole. Keep up the great outlook and spirit. I look forward to seeing you and the family in the summer when we are home for home leave. I hope you will be in a position to receive visitors by this coming summer. Enjoy your week off and keep the posts coming.
Go Blue,
The Faust Family
Matt,
Your Dad told us about your cancer at the Football Bust. Your presents there would have brighten a losing season.
You will be back at table #38 next year with a clean bill of health and a football team with a bowl game to play.
Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Keep that positive attitude.
Think sailing,
Lou & Deborah Maioano
Hi Matt,
Just checking in and happy to see you are doing well. A lot to be thankful for! We are thinking of you and your family, particularly at this time of year.
Dan and I had all of our kids and the grands in for our Thanksgiving on Sunday. They were particularly thankful because Dan did all of the cooking! Now we are moving on to Christmas! The time is flying.
I'm really glad you are doing well and able to enjoy your time with Megan and Ethan – teeth already!
Take care!
Dave Allen
Hi Dr. Matt,
As a few others have said, you are truly an inspiration. May God continue to watch over you!!.
Tim, Julie, Robert and Michael O'Dell
Post a Comment