Today I completed the last day of chemo for the first round, and I must say that I feel like I won this round! I am still feeling great, with the only noticeable side effect being fatigue. The treatment today was another infusion of Bleomycin, and I felt it less than I did last week.
I had blood drawn twice this week to check my thyroid and to check my blood counts. I found out yesterday that my thyroid is still hyperactive due to the elevated HCG levels. The significance of that is that my surgery that was planned for tomorrow will be postponed. The elevated thyroid activity poses a risk to receiving general anesthesia. I would have like to have gotten it out of the way, but I am glad my doctors are being cautious. Could you imagine if they found that I was beating the cancer, but I fell victim to complications with anesthesia? They will check my thyroid in 2 weeks and see if we can schedule the surgery for 3-4 weeks (the end of the next round of chemo).
The other blood draw today revealed that my blood counts have all gone down. The count of particular concern is my white blood cells (WBC). Normally WBC levels are 4.0 - 10.0 K/UL and my counts are 2.0. This means that I have a higher risk of infection from bacteria that my body would normally have no problem fighting off. I have to avoid crowds, anyone whom may be sick, practice good hygiene, and make sure that my food is properly prepared and fully cooked. So while I was hoping to make it to church on Sunday, it looks like that is out of the question for now. It seems excessive considering how well I feel, but my immune system is just too weak right now to fight anything off. Apparently it should start to come back up over the next week, and then we will hit it again with another round of chemo.
Still no sign of any (additional) hair loss. In fact, I need a haircut according to my wife. So tomorrow may be my last haircut for awhile. Just think of the money I will save; a whole $15 a month!
Below are a few pictures of my family taken last weekend. I hope you enjoy them.
Ethan helping Dad through chemo on Halloween at St. Joseph Mercy Hospital.
Family Halloween Photo
A happy father and not-so-happy son.
Reading with Grandpa
5 comments:
Matt,
I just heard about your cancer over the weekend from your father. I'm not sure if you remember me, but I went to school (grades 1-12) with your father.
You are in my daily prayers. (To use the Quaker, expression, I'm holding you in the Light -- cf. John 1:9).
Love,
Richard Nylund
kveekari.cox.net (until late Dec)
Just a note to let you know we are thinking of you! I check the blog daily and am constantly amazed by your strength. Keep up the good fight. Our prayers are with you always -- Mary Witt (Megan's friend from SMC)
P.S. Kisses to your lovely bride and Ethan too :o)
Hey Matt,
I think about you and your family daily and finally realized I can check your blog and not bug your mom! Not that anything ever kept her and I from talking. I'm glad everything is going well for you and it is a plus you and Megan get to spend more time together and enjoy Ethan together. So keep looking on the bright side as you work your way through this. It's great to see the latest pictures of Ethan, too! Keep writing – I'll keep checking!
Love,
Dave Allen
Hey Matt,
It was good to talk to you today. Ethan looks happy to help Dad in the photos. What a cutie. You're always in my thoughts. Aunt Jan
Hey Matt,
Glad to see you are kicking cancer's a$$! You are in our thoughts and prayers. I am sure Ethan and Megan are excellent caretakers (Megan was always a great roommate/friend in times of illness). Keep staying positive!
Cara and Nick
Post a Comment