I have been home for a week now, and it feels great. I apologize for my absence on the blog. Living in a two bedroom condo means that the second bedroom doubles as Ethan's room and the home office. So when Ethan is sleeping there is no blogging, and when Ethan is awake, I have been playing with him. I have finally dusted off Megan's laptop and reconnected to our wireless network, so that problem should now be corrected.
I must say that I really expected to feel worse by now. I still feel very good. I am tired, but I have not felt sick or had any pain. I continue to walk a mile to a mile and a half most days, and I am now competing with Ethan for naps. My doctors say I am doing well and to keep it up. The hardest part for me is staying home and being lazy when I don't feel sick, but I will happily deal with that.
Last Thursday I had an appointment with my oncologist and another chemo treatment. I had blood drawn (again) and so far my counts look good. The white blood cells have not really dropped yet, and the red blood cells are just slightly low. The best news is that the HCG levels have gone down significantly. HCG is the tumor marker that is released by the cancer, and it is the hormone that is causing my thyroid to be hyperactive. Before I began treatment the HCG levels were >200,000. I found out today that the results of last weeks blood draw indicated that my HCG levels are now 96,000! While that is still high, it indicates a significant reduction in just the first round of chemo. My doctor initially said that he did not expect to see much change at this point, but he was curious and wanted to run the test.
Last Thursday's chemo went very well also. It was an hour infusion of Bleomycin. I did feel the effects of it a little bit more this time, but they were still quite minor. Bleomycin has the potential for pulmonary toxicity, and what I felt was just that. My cough returned a little on Thursday night, and my breathing was just a little strained. Thankfully, by Friday afternoon I was back to normal. So while I did feel this strong drug affecting my body, it could have been much worse and my body seems to be handling the treatment very well.
So far I have not noticed any hair loss, or should I say, any more than normal. I was told to expect some hair loss in the next couple of weeks, but I pointed out that my hair loss started about ten years ago. The good news is that it will grow back after chemo, and often it grows back thicker. Who knew the answer to male pattern baldness was cancer!?
I appreciate everyone checking in on me, sending cards and well wishes. Please know that your support is a great strength. I am very lucky to be feeling well and to be home with Megan and Ethan. That is really the silver lining in all of this. It is a joy to see how Ethan changes each day, and I have been able to witness a lot of special moments that I otherwise would not have if I was at work. Megan and I have been able to spend more time together as well, even time without Ethan as we drive to and from appointments. It's time that we wouldn't normally have together and it really has been a blessing. I wish it was due to other circumstances, but nonetheless, it is time with my family that I truly treasure. It has gotten me to thinking a bit about how I will prioritize my time and schedule my life when this is all over. I am not sure what that means yet, but it will certainly mean more time at home.
I hope you are all doing well, and thank you again for your support, love, and prayers. They are working!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hi Matt, Megan and Ethan, Thinking about all of you, praying for you each day. You are a strong and wonderful couple and family. Keep the positive thoughts. If you need to talk let me know. The invite is there if you need to stay at our house. I spoke with John Schmidt, he will be contacting you. Love, COLLEEN AND DOUG
Post a Comment