Monday, November 17, 2008

Hair today, gone tomorrow.

I continue to feel great, but my hair is finally falling out. My fatigue has decreased the last couple of days, and I continue to have a good appetite. I walked 2 miles this evening and felt like I could keep going. I wanted to jog again, but kept it at a brisk walk. We spent Saturday at my parents house to watch the Michigan game, and we made the trip down to Megan's parents house in Toledo on Sunday. Although I can not go out in public and large crowds, it felt great to get out and see family. It felt like a normal weekend and helped me feel like my old self. Although I am feeling great, it is hard to stay home couped up all day.

The only new development is my hair loss, or increased hair loss. I noticed on Friday that my shirt was covered in whiskers from my beard, so I shaved it on Saturday morning. Unfortunately that did not rectify the hair collecting in the shower drain and the everywhere else I look in the condo. My hair is getting visibly thinner in new areas, and I will likely shave it all off in the next couple of days. I will be sure to post a picture on the blog so as not to shock anyone the next time I see you.

Ethan continues to be a joy. He is now giggling and laughing and trying harder to talk. It is such a blessing to have this time with him as he develops. It is a shame that American society does not normally allow the time off for parents to enjoy this time with their babies. While cancer may not be the best way to do it, I continue to feel blessed that I can spend time with Ethan and Megan. Even if she just called me a mangy dog because of the patches of my hair missing. Yes, we continue to joke about the situation and have very high spirits in general. I am happy to look like a mangy dog, or anything else for that matter, if it means I am beating cancer.

Many of you have offered us help with babysitting, meals, and running errands. We truly appreciate it, and though we may not have taken you up on your offers, rest assured that we will when we need your help. One of the byproducts of me feeling so well is that I can still do many things for myself and help Megan around the house. As long as I am able, I want to do those things. I am able to take care of Ethan, and I am able to help with meals. I have always enjoyed cooking, and Megan and I have always enjoyed cooking together. We are still able to do that. The reality is that in a week, 2 weeks, or a month, that may no longer be the case. When that time comes, we will be looking for help. Thank you all for your generous offers, and please remain on standby.

On Thursday it will have been one month since the initial chest x-ray and CT scan that revealed the masses in my chest, abdomen, and lungs. I am anxious to see the next CT scan to see how much it is reduced. I never imagined that I would feel this well and this strong a month later. I am certain that I am beating this, and look forward to visual proof.

This cancer chose the wrong man to mess with!!

3 comments:

Biddle Gallery said...

hi matt, megan, and ethan,

if you feel up to coming to the wyandotte parade on saturday, come to the gallery to keep warm.

happy thanksgiving!

-karen

Anonymous said...

Matt,

Anytime you feel like some company on a walk please let me know. Being a retired old fart I can get away anytime. Walking is great, as it gets colder having someone with you might help keep you motivated. Enjoy the Thanksgiving holiday and keep up the fight!!!

Gary Olsen
P.S. Jackie wishes you good luck on round #2 of chemo.

Anonymous said...

Dear Matt,

Thank you so much for the wonderful blogs you have been posting. I don't know that you realize how many people truly care about you and your family. We were so sorry to hear about the cancer. I will be busy doing something and thoughts of you just flood my mind. I am sure it is the same for so many of us. We are here to do whatever we can to help and I will be sure to pass that message along to your parents as well. I am so happy you are enjoying fatherhood so much. I knew you would!!! It just gets better all the time. Ethan is so adorable and he looks like you. You are a very special, thoughtful young man and we appreciate you keeping us "in the loop" with your blogs. Mike, Jess and I keep you in our prayers every day. I hope your faith continues to sustain you and the love of your family continues to keep you strong.

Mike and Shirley Tracy