Friday, August 28, 2009

Pelotonia--Day 1

I am writing this blog from our hotel room in Columbus following the opening ceremonies of Pelotonia. I am trying to type quietly because Ethan is sleeping in the Pack & Play next to our bed. We had a long day travelling down here with Ethan, and getting to the event, but it was well worth it. Besides this being a great event, something else pretty amazing happened for us as well; we got to meet Lance Armstrong! Yes, you read that correctly, we met Lance Armstrong.

Megan and I found out yesterday from my family that I was on a list of individuals that might get an opportunity to meet him. While I have not heard the whole story, it sounds like my parents, Kristin, and Jack have put in a lot of time contacting the Pelotonia staff to share with them my story. In the end, someone felt my story was compelling enough to be one of ten individuals with the chance to meet Lance and have a photo taken with him. It wasn’t even confirmed until last night.

We were scheduled to volunteer at 6:00, but that was all changed when we were rescheduled to meet Lance at 6:15. Megan and I in our Livestrong shirts, and Ethan in his Livestrong onesie, had several photos taken with him. Ethan walked right up to the edge of the stage at the front of the empty auditorium where Lance was sitting, and began banging on the stage next to Lance. Ethan is comfortable being himself, no matter what the environment! Lance was very nice, spoke to me a little about my treatment, and complimented Ethan on his Livestrong onesie. It was a brief, special moment, and I am glad that I got to personally thank Lance for all that he has done to inspire and help those of us battling cancer.

Tonight’s opening ceremony was quite a show. Pelotonia has raised over 4 million dollars for cancer research, and 100% of those donations go to research. I am very grateful to the many people that have supported our family by donating to our team. We have now raised just over $12,000! Thank you so much! Lance spoke at the opening ceremonies, as did several other dignitaries, and the message was the same. We are going to beat cancer! I hope you all know that you are helping me beat cancer, and this weekend, we are making big strides to find the cure.

I will try to keep posting this weekend to keep you all updated on the activities down here. The riders will begin their ride at 7:30 in the morning, and we hope to be there to send them off.

Livestrong!!

8 comments:

flygirl said...

Hi Dr. Matt- It's Carol -n- Kelley Coleman.Just wanted to let you know we are thinking about you and appreciate the updates.
Take Care~

The Campfire Gourmet said...

Amazing!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Dr. Matt

Thanks for the update. Been thinking about all of you there in Columbus. Hope the weather was as nice as it was here today. If so, they had a great day for a ride. Looking forward to hearing how it all went! It was great you were able to meet Lance. Have fun!!

Jackie O.

Toni said...

Very cool about meeting Lance. If you had our weather in Columbus, you had a great ride day. But even if not, what a terrific experience. Can't wait to hear more!

Anonymous said...

Wow! very cool -- Looking forward to hearing all about it and pictures.
Enjoy. Lynn D.

Unknown said...

Matt,
You continue to be such an inspiration. Thanks for letting us share in your journey- Keep fighting the good fight!
Sending you our love & support!
Jim & Teri Hunter

Cara said...

Awesome! How inspiring to meet Lance. Hope the rest of the weekend was just as fun and full of hope and inspiration. Keep fighting the fight!

Unknown said...

Way cool, dude!