Saturday, August 1, 2009

Open Letter to My Cancer

You are probably pretty proud of yourself; that you have withstood several rounds of chemo and nine months later you are still hanging on. Well guess what, I am still here too! In fact, I am stronger than I was 9 months ago. You may have felt me shaking you up a bit this morning. That's because I ran 2 miles. That's right, I walked 2 miles and ran 2 miles with my son.

You may want to take a look around, Cancer. What do you see? I'll tell you what you see. You see health. You see strength. You see heart, determination, a will to live, unending drive, and unwavering faith. Beyond that, what you can't see, is an army of my supporters just waiting for you to fall. WE have YOU surrounded, and WE are closing in. It is time to come out with your hands up. It is time to wave your white flag. Otherwise we are coming in with guns blazing. This is your final warning.

You may have survived the last nine months, but you are much smaller. I have not only survived, but I am stronger. We have you surrounded, and we will continue to close in like a boa constrictor until you give up or die. Know this Cancer, when you take your last breath, YOU will hear US roar.

14 comments:

tedheadfred said...

I'm ready for duty!

Anonymous said...

Yee-hah! Ride 'em, cowboy!

Anonymous said...

AMEN!

Anonymous said...

Proud to be part of your army of supporters...good luck tomorrow!
We will be thinking of you!
Erica, Alex & Caleb

www.katfoleyphoto.com said...

let me at 'em!! thinking and praying of you guys!

Unknown said...

We can take care of that Cancer once and for all in some Jersey diner, Matt. Hope you and Megan get in safely this morning. We'll continue to send those good vibes your way.

Anonymous said...

We are right behind you! Good luck today!

Megan

Anonymous said...

Your determination is so inspiring Matt. Many folks are praying for you and all of your family and friends, and I know with your determination that you will beat this!
Hang in there and good luck this week!

Anonymous said...

I am sure the youngest elder ever at GIPC knows how to lead the way! All those who will benefit from your experience will thank you in their hearts.

Unknown said...

FLH!

Almeida

Anonymous said...

Dear Dr Matt & Megan...as the Chicago group sang "Feeling stronger every day..OH YEA" and the old hymn "day by day and with each passing moment..strength I find to meet my trials here" you will continue onward & upward...what a blessing you guys are. And a GREAT BIG HAPPY FIRST BIRTHDAY to that handsome baby boy.Always on my mind & heart Cindy

Mary Witt said...

Go Matt go! Good luck in NYC - we will be thinking of you. Congrats on the 2 miles -- amazing and inspiring.

xoxo - Mary & Reggie Witt

ErikMichielsen said...

MSK is an amazing place, Matt. Not only are you in great hands but also they are blessed to have such a fighting Wolverine in house. Stay strong, visit Jack Rabbit Sports on 14th between 5th and 6th for running gear, and Go Blue! I'm living in NYC - Brooklyn - so if you are fixing for any good eats - NY specific or A2 clones - holler!

- Erik Michielsen (UM '96)

www.katfoleyphoto.com said...

happy birthday to ethan and happy anniversary to you guys!! time flies when you are kicking cancer bootie and kissing a cute little 1 year old.
love ya! folz