We have had a busy week. When I last blogged I mentioned I was headed to Ann Arbor for some more tests. I had a chest x-ray on Monday as well as blood tests. The blood results showed that my white blood cells are back to normal, and the HCG had gone back up to 1600. That is still slightly lower than it was 3 weeks ago, but up from the 1250 the week before. I spoke with all of my doctors about this and they all felt the clinical trial in NY was the next step. Had the HCG continued on a downward trend then we may have tried the last set of drugs a little longer, but the trend still appears to be moving upward. The good news is that is has slowed down greatly, and may have levelled off.
I have spent the week making travel plans and exercising. I don't know how I will feel after this chemo, so I don't know if I will be able to keep up with the exercises at the pace I have been going. Today I ran 1.7 miles, and I may try for 2 miles this weekend. We will be flying to NY on Monday morning, and flying back on Tuesday morning. I found a group called Corporate Angels that finds open seats on participating corporate flights for cancer patients. The flights are free and are dependent on availability. They found us a flight from Columbus, OH to New York, which works out well since my sister is in Columbus. There are an incredible number of organizations out there set up to help cancer patients. It is a great thing.
Monday I will start treatment in the clinical trial at Sloan Kettering. Treatment should only last a few hours, and we will have to make this trip every other week. The drugs I will be receiving are Oxaliplatin and flavopiridol. There is not a lot of information in print on this regimen, because it is so new and the Phase I study has not yet been published. I may learn more on Monday, or we may just learn about it as we go along.
I am patient #1 in this study, so I am prepared to lead everyone else to the cure!
Livestrong!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
Way to go Matt, you amaze me with the running and your strength...Good luck on Monday and Happy Birthday.
Thinking of you.
Danielle Ruskin
Matt,
Our thoughts and prayers are with you. You are an amazing young man; I applaud your courage. Best wishes to you, Megan and that adorable son of yours.
Gary Olsen
Patient #1 -- always a trailblazer. Keep the faith, Matt. This is going to work. We're praying for you.
Kristen
Matt, You continue to be in our prayers. I'm sorry we were out of town last weekend and missed the baptisms. God Bless You All and continue to LIVESTRONG! The Hunters
I just want to say that I can't run 2 miles without falling over and passing out, and I'm not being treated for a serious disease! Fun to read a bit about C. & E.'s baptisms, too. Happy B-day to the Udays! -K. Peake
Don't forget to keep drinking Pomegranate juice! :D Have fun in NYC!
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
[in response to Patient #1]
Matt and Megan, I liked the message on the sign you picked up at the street fair It was nice to read that you have had some nice celebrations lately with Ethan's birthday and baptism. He is fortunate to have you as parents. We wish you well with this new round of treatments. All the best, Tammy Ranck
Keep strong!! I am amazed by your determination. Good luck in NYC! Happy Birthday to Ethan and Happy Anniversary!
Megan
Post a Comment