Wednesday, May 13, 2009

No Lab Error

I received the results from my blood draw in Ann Arbor, and the results were exactly the same as Indy; HCG is 40. I was back in Ann Arbor today for my workout at the Y and for the Testosterone shot. Now I will wait until next Wednesday for another blood draw to see if scenario 2 plays out. In the meantime I will continue to exercise and get stronger. I walked over 2 miles yesterday, and today I began weight training at the Y in addition to the cardio.

I spoke with the trainers and some of the other cancer survivors in my class about the news from Monday. That group will certainly be a great source of support. We talked a little bit about the waiting game that comes with cancer. It is always a rush to get a test completed, and then the wait to hear the results. People have asked me in the past why I drive all the way to Ann Arbor to get my blood drawn. I could have it done locally, but then it has to be sent to a lab, then back to the local physician's office, then to Ann Arbor. It is much easier to drive to AA, were they have a lab on site, and they are pretty quick. Unfortunately it is not instantaneous, so there is still a waiting game. In this case, we have to wait a week to see how my body responds to the testosterone. If it was low testosterone that drove the HCG results up, then we have to wait and see if they come back down over the next week.

Thanks for your prayers, we will continue to forge on. Oh yeah, and Go Wings!

6 comments:

Biddle Gallery said...

matt and megan,

i am sad to hear this news. i can't stop thinking of you both. i had a dream you both came to the gallery. matt was healthy with a full head of curly red hair. i hope my dream comes true. soon!

with love,

karen

Colleen Allen said...

Dr. Matt, Just finding out today from Jackie about your diagnosis.You are giving it your best shot!I hope you get good news. I understand your reasons for going to the same lab.The consistancy of equipment is important too.I am a 5 1/2 year survivor of primary peritoneal cancer stage 2c, poorly differentiated cell type.Chemo for 12 months after surgery.No re-occurances.I still try to pay it forward and never feel complacent.Colleen Allen-a patient.

Anonymous said...

Dear Matt,

You seem to have no shortage of well-wishers but consider Rob and I among them. We are very sad about the recent news - not because we know the news won't be good in the end but because it means the end of this is a little further off than hoped. We are sending all of our best thoughts your way.

xoxo
Dana & Rob

Jamie said...

Stupid HCG levels. Who the heck do they think they are? Can't they see you've got stuff to do? You're a busy guy, with a busy and exciting life. Sheesh. They really should show you all some respect. I'm sick of their attitude. In fact, I just won't stand for it. (I won't sit either.) You show those levels who's boss in this here town... er... that there town.

Stay strong. M Go Matt.
Jamie + Emily

Anonymous said...

Dear Matt,
I just wanted you to know that my family and I (extended and immediate) are thinking of you. You have an unbelievable strength and eventhough you have been let down at times through all of this you will get through it! All of our love and support, Jennifer Buhl (Lowery)

Unknown said...

Hey Matt!
Keep up that determined spirit!
Love-Hope-Faith every moment of every day!
We're behind you all the way!
Love the Hunters!
(Jim, Teri,Jace, Rob, & Ally)