I have received the results from yesterday's tests, and while the information is incomplete at this point, it is hopeful. The MRI came back normal, there has been no spread to the brain. This is excellent news, of course! The CT scan showed that there was still enlargement of the lymph nodes in the abdomen and chest, as well as remaining nodules in my lungs, but they had all reduced in size since my last CT scan in February. While this shows that the tumors have responded to the treatment thus far with a reduction in size, it still does not tell us where the rising HCG is coming from. It is hopeful news because it appears that everything has shrunk. It is incomplete news because we still do not know where the live cancer remains.
The next step is a PET scan on Wednesday to determine where the live tissue is hiding. The hope is that it will be located in an operable location, and then we can remove the remaining tissue. You may recall that I mentioned the PET scan before, and I even had it scheduled for this past Wednesday. Unfortunately there was a mix up at the hospital and I was rescheduled for a CT scan. It seems that a PET scan is not an approved diagnostic test for testicular cancer, so my insurance denied the preauthorization. I found this out on Tuesday, and although I said to go ahead with the PET scan and I would pay for it if that is what I need, the appointment was still cancelled and rescheduled for a CT scan. I found this out yesterday at 12:30, just a few hours before I was planning to head to the hospital for what I thought would be an MRI and PET. Needless to say, I was quite upset. While I would certainly prefer my insurance to pay for the scan, I cannot put a price on my own life, and if I need a PET then I will find a way to pay for it if necessary.
In the end, I was not able to get the PET yesterday and had to settle for a CT scan. The CT scan has provided us with some info, but it sounds like the PET is still necessary. The good news is that my tumors are still shrinking, and waiting a week for the PET does not put me in any further danger. We obviously want to move forward as quick as possible, but thankfully my tumors are small and growing slowly. We can afford to take the time to collect more information, consult with all doctors involved in AA and Indy, and come up with what will hopefully prove to be the final, successful, phase of treatment.
This has been a trying week of waiting, with a maddening day of mistakes yesterday, but we finally have some hopeful news today. We will enjoy this beautiful holiday weekend with family, and be ready to hit the ground running next week. Who knows, by then my doctor may have convinced Blue Cross to pay for the PET on Wednesday.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Hey Matteo, Megan, and Ethan,
Happy to hear the bit of good news! Frustrated that the news is incomplete, but it gives you another week to get stronger and ready for whatever is next. And BTW, just so you know, we're all here to help you = and that includes helping you "find a way" to pay for treatments that aren't approved. We've all got your back on that one! :D
Sending lots of love!
Diana and Fred
So glad to hear that the scan showed things were normal in the brain. I know that was a relief. The way insurance companies rule patient care is mind boggling and very sad. I am sorry you had a bit of trouble. Enjoy the weekend! It is suppose to be nice here, I hope it is there.
Hugs to all!
Megan
M, M & E - I am with you in spirit!! E-hugs as always.
Toni
hugs to you.
Been thinking of you guys.... sounds both discouraging yet encouraging at the same time. The strength you have is absolutely amazing and at all times inspiring. Sending all the love and prayers that we can. And looking forward to some good news soon.
Love - Mary & Reggie Witt
We'll be thinking about you tomorrow! Hope all goes well with the PET.
Post a Comment