Wednesday, May 20, 2009

HCG still rising, more imaging tomorrow.

I spoke with my oncologist just a short time ago, and my HCG has risen this past week. It is now 95, more than double what is was last week. This means that it is not due to a hormone imbalance, but it is due to live cancer that is growing again. I will undergo an MRI of the brain and a PET scan of the chest and abdomen tomorrow to determine where it is so we can get after it.

This obviously is not the news we were hoping for, and it is certainly not good news, but it was what we expected. I did, however, have my best and longest workout today, and continue to feel better everyday. So I am physically ready to take on the next challenge, whatever it happens to be. I know that with each failed treatment my prognosis dwindles, but I maintain that statistics are history; they pertain to other people and they relate what has happened in the past. I have bounced back quicker and stronger than I should have from the poison they pumped through me in Indy. My body may not be fully healed yet, but it is ready for the next battle, and I still plan to win this fight.

Thank you for your prayers and support, and please keep them coming.

12 comments:

Jamie said...

Last ditch effort. That's all this is. It knows it's going down and is making one last half-a**'d attempt. But it's the cancer's last gasp I'm sure of it. Your next volley will put this thing where it belongs — in the past with those statistics.

Keep fightin' Doc. M Go Matt.

Jamie + Emily

Anonymous said...

M M & E...You are the inspiration...Jamie & Emily are right M GO MATT!! There's power in the blood & I will continue to claim that power. Take care all Love Cindy

Anonymous said...

We are all right behind you as you kick this thing for good. Hang in there guys and please speak up if you need something...anything!

Hugs to you all.

Megan

www.katfoleyphoto.com said...

you can do this. love you guys.

Anonymous said...

We love you madly, and of course we are praying. God is with you all, and so are we. Peace.
Amy and fam

Unknown said...

I like that. 'Statistics are history'. I've said it before; I'll say it again: you are an outlier. Our thoughts and prayers are always with you. Take care.

Love,

The Almeidas
(FLH)

Anonymous said...

Matt - thinking of you, hang in there. I know you will beat this!
Anna

Toni Mann said...

Matt - Well, H..E..Double hockey-sticks to that!!! Love and prayers to you all the way, kiddo. ;-)

Toni

Biddle Gallery said...

sending positive vibes your way.

Heather Stefan, RD said...

Matt, Megan and Ethan...we've been following your blog for months now and you are truly an inspiration for us all. We are sending prayers your way and we know that you faith and strength will be able to kick this cancer out of the park! Please let us know if you need anything!!!

love,
The Stefan's, Jeff, Heather, Clare and Allie

Anonymous said...

Dr. Matt
Keep pressing on we still know someone more powerful than any type of cancer. Thanks for sharing the pictures of Ethan he sure is cute.
Mark and Theresa

Anonymous said...

Matt, we have been following your blog and think your spirit is amazing. Keep going!

With lots of love to you, Megan & Ethan (who looks very cool in his shades by the way),
Phil and Jessica