Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Feeling Better Every Day

Well I have been home for 2 weeks now, and I am feeling better every day. I just got back from my evening walk. Today, again, I took a longer walk than yesterday. On Monday I will start a physical rehab program at the YMCA in Ann Arbor. They are one of ten Y's in the country that have received a grant from the Lance Armstrong Foundation to pilot a program for cancer survivors. It will be twice a week for 12 weeks, and they will tailor a workout program to my needs. I am looking forward to getting that started.


I do feel stronger each day, as I am able to do more and sleep less. The fatigue is certainly improving, but there are just some days where I hit a wall and cannot keep my eyes open. It is not everyday anymore, but it still hits me at times.


I have been making biweekly trips to Ann Arbor to have my blood drawn. They are still trying to get some numbers where they should be, but nothing major, just part of the healing process. I was there this morning, and spoke with a women whom was just beginning treatment. The way the oncologists office is set up can be a little bit confusing when you are just beginning treatment. There is a registration desk for the clinic (where you receive the chemo), there is a registration desk for when you see the doctor, and there is a registration desk for the lab where you have your blood drawn. So there are three places to check in, depending on what you are there for, and even if you have already checked in at one place you still need to check-in at another if you have multiple needs that day. On top of that, when you are there for a blood draw, you are given a slip of paper at the registration desk which you must then turn in at another desk in the lab. It sounds very confusing, and when you are just starting out it is confusing. After you are into treatment, however, it all becomes very routine.


I am explaining all of this because it was a very interesting trip today. I have never seen it so busy in the lab. It was standing room only as there were 10 people waiting to get their blood drawn. Three of the ten were there for the first time. It is very easy to tell who is there for the first time. They are the ones, whom after finding out where to go to register, sit down in the lab without turning the slip in from the registration desk. That is what I did the first time, and I have seen it done many times since. So after I explained to the woman next to me that she needed to turn in her slip, we got to talking. I could just see on her face how anxious and overwhelmed she was. It reminded me of how I felt when I was first diagnosed, and I am sure I looked the same way. It was good to talk to her, and reassure her about what she was going through. Normally everyone goes through that lab like a robot. I have had my blood drawn anywhere from once to three times a week for the past six months. It has become routine, and I hardly even notice the needle poke anymore. Then you see three people sitting there with their forms in their lap, and you know it is their first time and they need direction. You also remember exactly how it feels.


Last Monday was the sixth month anniversary of the day I was told that I had several masses in my chest and abdomen. It has been a reflective couple of weeks. Talking with the woman today made me think even more about those early days, and how much I have been through. It has been a long haul. I am not out of the woods yet, but I do feel like I am getting close. I could not have made it this far without the army of support that I have received, and I hope that my conversation in the lab today gave her strength as well. It is a wonderful thing to know that people are behind you, that they understand, and that they care. I have been blessed to experience all of those feelings the past six months, and I look forward to helping others with cancer feel this way too.

7 comments:

Joe C. said...

Good to hear things are improving!! I, for one, was beginning to wonder...

I'm sure you've heard it a thousand times, but you should think about publishing your blog about your experience. Then, at every checkup, take a dozen copies and leave them in the waiting room, free for those that need it. Not only would it give other patients something to read while waiting for and undergoing treatments, it would give them something no amount of drugs can: Hope.

I'd be happy to donate to the cause.... It probably wouldn't be much, but it couldn't hurt.

Anonymous said...

Hi Matt, This is the first time I have read your blog and I am humbled by your strength and positive attitude. God Bless you young man and keep up the wonderful attitude ! We are praying for you.

Oggie & Maggie

Dallas K. said...

Matt,

It is great news to read that you are getting better. Your attitude is admirable. Sharon and I pray each day that you are healing and you will soon be back to work.

I just had my 6 months check-up and missed seeing you. I am looking forward to having you poke around in my mouth when I come back for my next cleaning.

Dallas

Anonymous said...

I know you inspired that woman. You have inspired many in your journey. I agree with Joe C....write to share with others. You know better than anyone how much you need that personal experience to help you through.

Glad to hear you are gaining your strength. If you don't have email access yet, would you please pass on to your dear wife a special Happy Birthday for me! I know it is a couple days early!!

Thinking of you.

Megan

Anonymous said...

Hi Dr. Matt,

After reading your blog, there are a few things that come to mind. I have thought that publishing your blog and also the McNamara blog would be helpful and inspiring to those facing the battle you have endured whether it be the same type of cancer, or any cancer. As far as helping those that are trying to make it through the steps of the system, I know that Gary has felt helpful in talking about what he went through with his back surgery. So I am sure that somehow or someway you will find a way to talk to others that will face the battle that you have endured. Keep the faith, the prayers are still and will continue to be said. Here's to the hope that everything will stay on the positive side.

Jackie

Anonymous said...

Dear Dr Matt, Megan & that adorable Ethan, You guys are sooo amazing...I finally made my way to a computer site to catch up for myself on your progress. I think and pray for you daily...you guys are always on my mind. Can't wait to be able to see you all...that little guy is just too too much!He's going to be quite the little lady killer. I don't miss working but I do miss the jokes & laughs we shared..you were a great boss.Blessings to you all...take care and oh by the way...I think I found a few of those pounds you lost and I'd like to quit storing them for you so feel free to take them back anytime now--I guess I didn't want them to get to far away from you or be gone forever--you got the cookies I got the LBS.Love you guys Cindy

Anonymous said...

Hi Matt - I'm so glad to hear that you are able and willing to take the time to show compassion for the other patients. My mom did the same thing, whether with strangers or friends/family that were diagnosed. Obviously it's also just as hard on the family of the newly diagnosed patient too. My parents tried to shield us kids as much as possible from what my mom was going through, and that made things more difficult because they weren't talking through things with us and we weren't understanding the full extent of what my mom was going through. I have a friend whose mom was recently diagnosed, and my friend's parents are doing the same thing with her and her siblings. Whether it's writing this blog or talking to other patients, I'm so glad you're taking the time to educate and help others through your own experience because it really does make a huge difference.

Heather (Fred's "mom")