Thursday, April 10, 2008

A Scathing Rant...Then I'm Over It.

So, I'm not really sure what it is about pregnancy that makes people think they are free to give tons of UNsolicited advice...about weight gain, what to eat during which month, what (not) to put on your registry, what doctor to go to, etc.

Here's some TMI for everyone: my uterus now extends 2 inches above my navel and is the size of a SOCCER BALL! Guess what? I'm supposed to look like this! And, I don't really care that your daughter is due a week after me and she's not NEARLY as BIG as I am!

I think it would be really cool if we could all focus on how awesome it is to be growing a baby and appreciate that everyone is different and everyone's experience with pregnancy is different. And, if you can't think of something nice to say, just don't make unwanted comments. It literally SUCKS the fun out of having a baby.

Here's some questions that I would appreciate being asked, as opposed to getting unsolicited advice:
What is the best part about being pregnant?
How often do you feel the baby move/kick?
How big is the baby now?
What week of pregnancy are you in? What is happening, in terms of development, at this week?
Do you need help with anything?
How are you sleeping?
How is your research going for your registry? What resources are you utilizing?

Yours Truly,
The most hormonal pregnant woman you never want to deal with if you make one more unsolicited comment. Seriously.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

i'll never forget the time i took the twins out for one of their first stroller rides (in april) a woman who lived down the street came out and said "that's why you looked as big as an elephant when you were pregnant" and then proceeded to tell me that didn't i know that the babies would get colic because i didn't have hats on them! what a great experience and yes it sucks the very joy out of you. i don't know why strangers feel they can say what they want.
you and matt will be great parents!! just smile your beautiful smile and keep on glowing. we love you!

Anonymous said...

AMEN! I think every pregnant woman has felt this emotion. It stinks because you can't hide the sign that says, "I'm pregnant!"

What is funny, you will get a stranger one day to say, you look like you could go anytime and then the next week someone will say you look to be 12 weeks along. Don't listen to them!! I think you look great (from the pictures!)

ML

Anonymous said...

I am in complete agreement with everything you've said. The worst is that most of these comments come from other women....not cool. Towards the end of my pregnancy my father-in-law asked if the doctors may have made a mistake and could we possibly be having twins....it's like who are you to be saying anything at all. I commented back to him and the rest of the room how amazed I was at the things people say to pregnant women.
You know who to listen to and who to tune out....la la la.

Anonymous said...

You should carry around a small notebook. Every time someone says something stupid or something that pisses you off (related to pregnancy), you should immediately write it down.

Then make a million dollars selling a book called “Stupid Things People Tell Pregnant Women”.

Torren said...

Say the word and you can spend time 2000 miles away from Michigan for as long as you need to. Our air mattress is waiting for you. Think about it.

Hopefully, things will improve.