Before I update everyone on the results of this weeks tests, I would like to take a moment to thank you for supporting my family in the Pelotonia bike tour. The response so far in just a couple days has been tremendous, and we are already nearly half way to our goal. Without cancer research, I would not have the treatments that have kept me going thus far. The battle with cancer is truly a war on many fronts, and I thank you all for helping me fight this battle on every front.
The CT scan showed that the tumors were basically unchanged. There was one that had increased slightly in size, but the rest were essentially the same size as my last CT scan 2 months ago. The tumor marker (HCG) had increased, however, and is now 1750. That is a little more than double the level it was at 3 weeks ago (850). This indicates that the rate of increase has slowed, but it is still increasing nonetheless. This means current chemo is slowing the progression of the disease, but it will not be the cure we are looking for.
My doctors in Ann Arbor and Indiana have consulted on my situation, and the recommendation from Dr. Einhorn in Indiana was to proceed with oral VP-16. This is a daily dose of chemo (Etoposide) for 21 days per round. Dr. Winegarden felt that there may be other more aggressive options for me, and suggested I head to Sloan-Kettering Memorial Hospital in New York for another consultation. I spoke with Dr. Einhorn by phone yesterday afternoon, and he reassured me that the oral VP-16 is more than a maintenance dose, but I would still like to make the trip to New York to get more input. My fear regarding the oral chemo is that it is the same drug that I had high doses of in Indianapolis, so why would a low dose be any more effective? The theory behind the oral dose is that a smaller dose that can be given daily over a long period of time can be more effective than a high dose given over a short period of time. With testicular cancer, it is easy to kill 99% of the cancer. That is the fast growing portion of the cancer. The slow growing 1% that remains if very difficult to kill. Talking with Dr. Einhorn calmed my fears regarding the oral treatment, but it also pointed out that there is no sure thing at this point of my disease.
Indiana and Sloan-Kettering are the top hospitals for testicular cancer, and Sloan-Kettering is known to be a bit more aggressive than Indiana. I have the utmost respect and appreciation for what the team in Indiana has done for me thus far; they have been great and Dr. Einhorn is an amazing man. Maybe the oral VP-16 would cure me, but I want to look into all available avenues before I decide. I am very lucky to have Dr. Winegarden on my team. He is enlisting the help of the top minds in this field to find the best treatment for my disease. I still feel strong, I know in my heart and my gut that I will beat this, I just need to find the right instrument to make that happen.
I will hear from Sloan-Kettering on Monday regarding when they can see me. In the meantime, Megan and I are getting ready for another trip at the drop of a hat. We have done this before, and certainly it will be easier than preparing for such a trip a week after moving (as we had to do when we headed to Indianapolis). At the same time, my blood counts are up, almost back to normal even. To me this is another sign that my body is strong and ready for any treatment necessary. Megan and I went to the Wyandotte Street Fair last night while Ethan spent some time with Grandpa and Grandma. It was great to have a night out, and it is good to be able to be out and about again.
Thank you all for your prayers and support, your donations, your emails, and phone calls. I owe many of you a return call. I am trying to make headway on those calls, but know that I appreciate your support very much, even if you have not yet heard back from me. I love you all, and together we will continue to beat this!
Livestrong!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
12 comments:
Matt,
Good for you for wanting to press further. You know your body and if you feel strong and able to try more, than go for it! We are all behind you.
Thinking of you, Megan and Ethan!
Megan
Hi Dr. Matt,
Just wanted to let you know that we are all thinking of you, Megan, and Ethan. Bravo for pursuing other possible options! Good luck! Please keep up with the updates. I will be out of the country, in the Rocky Mountains, but will check the blog as I am able.
Jackie
Dear Muday-
Certainly not the news any of us wanted to hear! But glad you continue to feel strong in this fight and only wish your results would match what you feel. I believe in time they will but in the meantime you continue to wage a brave battle. My thoughts continue to be with you and your family and I look forward to seeing you all in a few months!
xxoo Erica
Matt,
Scozz, Doug, Ramon and the rest of us will be waiting to knock the cancer right out of you when you come out to NYC.
I hope, HOPE that we'll be able to do more than just pray for you and your family when you're out here.
You know my number.
Take Care, Brother.
-Seiji
Dear Matt,
Rob and I have been thinking of you and your family all week. Your latest news is definitely not what we hoped for but Sloan Kettering is the best of the best and I have faith that they will have exactly what you need. I'm so sorry that this ordeal is not yet over for you and you have to endure more doctors and tests and second opinions. You are in our thoughts often.
xoxo
Dana and Rob
We had a great time with you all yesterday. I think you, Andy, and Brad were defintely the oldest boys on the waterslide! Let's do that again soon. There is a great article in the Free Press about you this morning. Thanks again for all of your updates and generousity of information.
Love you!
Matt -- Well, phooey! I am glad that you have such a top notch team working together on your behalf. Doug and I rode in "One Helluva Ride" yesterday (July 11th), at which I finally picked up a Livestrong bracelet. You are truly in my thoughts and prayers.
The usual e-hugs to you all!
had so much fun yesterday with you guys, kate and andy and of course, your little swimming fish, ethan. :)
I am a friend of Megan's from SMC. I have been following your blog (thanks to Kate) and I wanted to let you know you are in my thoughts.
As you know, the body is an amazing machine and even more amazing is the power of love, hope prayer.
I will continue to hold you and your family in my thoughts.
Love and hope from Texas!
Allez!
Leticia (McDonald) Hart
Wishing you strength and courage and much love. Same to Megan and Ethan.
Dan and Jan Holmes
Matt, Megan and Ethan,
You are all such amazing people. Matt, I know that you can and will beat this! We are all praying for you.
Jenn, Erik and Logan
Dr Uday,
I read the article in the paper about your fight. My name is Joel McCormick, I am 46 years old and was diagnosed with Testicular Cancer 10/08...my cancer spread and I ended up with another Tumor the size of my fist wrapped around my Renal Artery...my original diagnosis was Seminoma Stage IIC...after 9 weeks of aggressive Chemo the tumor in my Abdomen Region is down to the size of a quarter! I go in 8/18 for some more Surgery...the good news is I am beating the this horrible monster we call Cancer...to make a long story short...I wanted to reach out to you and let you know that Kim and myself are here for you! Your battle is in our prayers and if there is anything we can do to help during your battle please let us know...if you ever need to talk, please email at mccormick_joel@hotmail.com...I live in the Lake Orion area and did my treatment at U of M...
Livestrong!!
Post a Comment