Thursday, July 16, 2009

On The Road Again

We have an appointment in New York next Thursday morning. My records were sent to Sloan-Kettering where they were reviewed prior to setting up the appointment. I received a call stating that they had reviewed the 117 pages of my chart that were sent, but that they still needed copies of all of my chemo orders. So another 65 pages were sent for them to review. I don't think that much has been written about me in my whole life!

So we will be headed to New York next week. This will be my first trip to the Big Apple, and Megan has only spent one day in the city. We are still planning our trip, but we will certainly take a little extra time to see some of the sights. We will have to squeeze it in though, because we have to be back for Ethan's baptism on July 26. Ethan and Cale will be baptized together on that day.

Many have been asking us how we are doing after receiving the disappointing news last week. It was disappointing, but it does not change how I feel and it has not shaken my confidence. On Sunday I ran 1.2 miles, and I continue my commitment to exercising and building my strength. It is exhausting to be faced with yet a longer fight. We never imagined that this would drag on for 9 months, but it is what it is.

I went to my Livestrong class yesterday, and Megan and Ethan swam. Megan also took him up to the Ann Arbor Art Fair for a short time. She found a sign that she purchased for me and it said, "Do not worry about whether or not the sun will rise. Be prepared to enjoy it." This is the perspective that cancer provides. We live to enjoy each day. We also have learned that we cannot worry about what the fight against cancer will bring each day, we just have to be prepared to fight it.

Livestrong!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Matt,

Hey man, Robin and I are thinking about you. I hope the NYC trip goes great.

Tyler forwarded me the Free Press story and I sent it out to the boys.

lp

Unknown said...

Have a good trip. Be safe in the big city (ha). Take care.
Love,
The Almeidas

Toni said...

Matt -- All good wishes for the best outcome from your trip to NYC. As to the tourist stuff, if you can get to the Statue of Liberty, I think that is something uniquely NYC and USA, no matter how hokey. Whatever you do, I know you will cherish every moment.

E-hugs!

Anonymous said...

Hi Dr Matt
Greetings from Banff Canada. I am writing to you on my I pod touch. Thank your Dad for that. Good luck on your next journey. We will all be thinking of you. Thanks for the update on the blog. We have been checking each night after our hikes. Take care. Jackie

Danielle said...

Matt...
After sitting here for 3 hours reading your blog...I am speechless. You are one amazing person. You have an amazing wife and absolutely adorable son. I am not sure where I have been for the last 9 months, apparently living under a rock..from this day forward I will be reading your blog and praying for you daily. Best wishes for your upcoming trip to New York. I read the Free Press story and your outlook on life is inspiring. I have a friend who lost her 2 year old son, suddenly, back in March and it puts life into perspective. Live for the moment...I'm so glad you and your wife will take some time to enjoy NYC.
Regards,
Danielle (Binder)Ruskin

Unknown said...

You're going to drive out of NYC back to Michigan a changed man...a Yankees fan...

Okay, maybe not, but I hope the visit brings you good news.

Looking forward to you and Megan's visit.

Anonymous said...

All the best this week!! You are in my thoughts.

Love ya.
Megan

Anonymous said...

Good luck, Matt and Megan. NYC is an amazing place, and though you're not exactly going there on vacation, why not make the most of it while you're there? A second the Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island suggestion. Amazing places.

So you know, there's been a ton of really positive reader feedback to the story in the paper. A man in Southgate sent me a terrific message about his son's struggle with testicular cancer 15 years ago. Today, he's a father of two and very healthy. You can do it too, Matt! We have faith in you.

Another woman wrote to tell me about her sister's fight against breast cancer. Now, she and another woman have started a support group to help others. I hope to write about them soon. It's all about empowering one another and realizing no one fights cancer alone.

Hang in there. Lots of prayers coming your way from our house.

Kristen

www.katfoleyphoto.com said...

safe travels!
love you guys!

Mary Witt said...

...will be thinking of you tomorrow as you travel to NY tomorrow. As always - all our prayers to you!!

love - the Witts

Mike said...

Matt,

Good luck in New York. Keep that attitude, and good things are bound to happen!

Mike, Terrillyn, and Jason Walls

Anonymous said...

keep fighting like hell matt!!! just read the detroit news article from weeks ago i am sure and plan to spend a few extra minutes reading and tucking the girls in tonight. look forward to seeing you and the family in october for penn state. have fun in nyc and make sure you get a slice of true ny style pizza while you are there. talk soon.

swetty