Megan and I returned from NYC Friday evening, and have had a busy, but very enjoyable couple days since then. We celebrated Ethan's first birthday a little early since my aunt and uncle were in town from CA for the baptism, and so was my sister and her family. We had my family over to our home on Saturday for a birthday party, and it was great to see Ethan enjoy eating and playing with his first birthday cake! He had it everywhere. He was so excited to eat chocolate cake he began smacking the cake with both hands and cake and icing was flying in every direction. He apparently takes after both of his parents in their love for chocolate, except we would not have wasted any chocolate by throwing it around the kitchen. I am sure he will learn better with time.
Sunday Ethan was baptized with his cousin Cale, and it was entertaining to say the least. Ethan did well throughout the service, but when we got up for the baptism he apparently thought we were getting up to play. He walked right up to the front of the church, but then was none to pleased when we tried to hold him or keep him in one place. At one point he was squirming so much in his grandfather's arms that he ended up hanging upside down screaming. The congregation was well entertained. His cousin fared much better, thanks to a supply of Cheerios in his father's pocket, and because he was also entertained by Ethan. It was a memorable baptism, and in the end, both boys behaved well in the pastor's arms.
Today is my birthday, and I have many things to celebrate. It was wonderful to see so much of our family this weekend. What a gift to see my son celebrate his first birthday, and then to be baptized with my nephew. It was a great weekend. Additionally, we received some good news late in the day on Friday while driving home from New York. My HCG was tested on Thursday and it actually had gone down since the last blood test two weeks earlier! Previously it was 1750 and on Thursday it was 1250. I don't know exactly what that means yet. The doctor cautioned me that there is variation between labs, so these numbers are not absolute. On the other hand, I look at this as a sign that my HCG has at least stopped climbing. If it had continued to climb at the same rate it was climbing for the last 2 months then it should be up to 3500 by now. At the very least I feel this indicates a levelling off of my HCG if not an actual reduction. It is encouraging news.
So now I am on track to start the clinical trial next Monday in New York, unless my doctors feel this news regarding the HCG points us in a different direction. I have tests that need to be performed prior to the trials. I had another MRI last night, and I am headed to Ann Arbor today for more blood work and another chest x-ray. I will also attend the final session of the Livestrong program at the Y today. Hopefully I will also hear back from my doctors today to find out more about what this change in the HCG means.
The beat goes on; more waiting for information and then we can begin to plan the next few weeks. It feels great to have more options for treatment, and I am hopeful that the news about the HCG is an indication that the tests are finally beginning to catch up with what I have been feeling for weeks; I am getting better. You may recall that when I returned home from Indy I barely had the strength to walk to the mailbox. At the time I set out to walking everyday and gradually increased the distance I walked each day. In my mind I considered setting a goal of jogging by my birthday. I thought about setting the goal for jogging a mile by my birthday. Then I thought this may be too ambitious and thought about setting it at a half mile by my birthday. I don't recall what I finally decided, but I can tell you this, today I ran just shy of a mile and a half with Ethan. (Well, he didn't actually run with me, he slept in his stroller.) I continue to believe that if I feel stronger each day, the cancer must be getting weaker. Maybe we are finally seeing signs of this with the blood results on Thursday. No matter what those test truly mean, I will keep running, I will keep seeking treatment, and I will keep getting stronger until the cancer gives up the fight. It will not be me that gives up this fight, I can guarantee you that.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
Happy Birthday Matt! Sounds like it was a great way to spend your bday weekend. Its clear from your blog entries where you draw your strength to keep fighting from. I'm thinking of you today and hoping for continued good news for you this week.
xoxo
Dana
Matt -- You looked so well at church yesterday and it was heart-warming to see all the family there to celebrate multiple events that actually have nothing to do with cancer at all! The cancer really is not who you *are*, just something you *have*. Okay, a big thing for right now, but still not who you are.
The kids were great, even with the squirmies. I think Ethan saw that great long aisle as an enticing proving ground for that walking thing he is trying to perfect. The cheerios strategy for Cale was brilliant and subtly executed. I was in the first row, but I bet there weren't many others who even saw it.
As to chocolate cake, I seem to remember having to hose Eddie down after his first cake. Maybe we encourage the mess, because we adults miss the freedom of such total involvement.
Thanks to you and your family for sharing these memorable events with your church family!
"Auntie" Toni
Happy Birthday, Matt!!
I hope you're day is great and you are blessed with un-expected things today. :)
Rachael
Hi Matt!
First of all, HAPPY BIRTHDAY! It sounds like you had a great weekend. I am glad to hear that you are getting stronger and the cancer is getting weaker---great news! You and your family continue to be in my thoughts and prayers. Tell your mom and dad I said hello!
Love,
Eleise
Dr. Matt
Happy Birthday!! We are glad to hear you had such a great weekend with your family. We are praying daily and believing that this lowered HCG counts is the sign of some wonderful news. What an awesome day for a birthday hope you can get outside and enjoy this day.
Mark and Theresa McCarthy
Happy Birthday! Thanks for the continued blog entries - we're still here, and will continue on with you to NYC.
Happy Birthday Matt! We're always thinking of you guys.
Love,
Diana and Fred
Dr Matt...Sounds like a wonderful weekend with family, those are the best times. Happy Birthday to you.
It's funny (coincidence) I have a song that I want to give you next time I see you called "The Race". One line in it says "I'm runnin' the race and I'm gonna finish"! woo-hoo almost the same words you shared today. lynn
Hey Matt, Gusfa made me aware of your blog, so I've been reading up. From your last entry, looks like you're in great spirits, which is what it's all about. Happy Birthday as well. Here's one of my favorite quotes from Les Brown. I think you'll like it and I think it fits everything you're talking about. Keep the faith and I hope to talk to you soon.
Madhu
If You Want A Thing Bad Enough
“If you want a thing bad enough to go out and fight for it, to work day and night for it, to give up your time, your peace, and your sleep for it . . . if all that you dream and scheme is about it, and life seems useless and worthless without it . . . if you gladly sweat for it and fret for it and plan for it and lose all your terror of the opposition for it . . . if you simply go after that thing that you want with all of your capacity, strength and sagacity, faith, hope and confidence and stern pertinacity . . . if neither cold, poverty, famine, nor gout, sickness nor pain, of body and brain, can keep you away from the thing that you want . . . if dogged and grim you beseech and beset it, with the help of God, you WILL get it!” — Les Brown
Happy Birthday Matt! Sounds like you guys are doing well.
Hurry up and wait mode...spoken like a true marching band alumni!
Heather (Fred's "mom")
Post a Comment