Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Extending the Fight Against Cancer

We are just about to the middle of the "big week". I had my CT scan on Monday. Everything went smoothly and it was uneventful. On Thursday I will have my blood drawn and my tumor marker checked. Then on Friday I will meet with my doctor to review the results of both tests. This is a big week and I am hopeful that we will receive some good news on Friday. At this point good news would be that things have at least stabilized, and better yet if we see significant improvement. Discovering that this chemo is working and we need to continue with more treatment would be good news.

On the other hand, judging by how I feel, I would expect to hear that the cancer is gone. I feel great, and continue to feel stronger every day. This may not be reflected in the tests yet, but I feel more confident than ever that I am beating this cancer and it will be just a matter of time until the tests show the same results. I would love to receive that info this week, but I also realize that more time may be necessary.

I am doing everything that I can to fight the cancer within my body, but it is time to extend the fight. On the weekend of August 28-30 I will be involved with the Pelotonia, a bike tour for cancer. The event will be held in Columbus, Ohio, and 100% of the money raised will go towards cancer research at the James Cancer Hospital at Ohio State University. You may recall that this is where I received my second opinion. Lance Armstrong and his Livestrong foundation are supporting the event, and Lance will be participating in the ride as well as speaking at the opening ceremony. Each rider is responsible for raising $1000 towards the cause. My family has put together a Peloton (or team) in honor of me, and my parents, sister, and brother-in-law will be riding in the 50 mile tour. Megan and I will be volunteering.

This will be an amazing event, and an incredible opportunity to raise money for cancer research. Many of you have asked how you can help, and some of you have asked if there is a charity that you could donate to in my name. Well, here is your chance. 100% of your donation will go to cancer research.

If you would like to donate to the fight against cancer you can donate to our Peloton. Donations are tax deductible and can be made directly to our team on the www.pelotonia.org website. You can find us by typing in the team name, Amaizin’ Matt Domestiques, or the team ID #3679. If you do decide to contribute, please donate under the team name and not under my name. As a volunteer I am not required to raise any funds, but by donating to the team the funds raised will be shared amongst the riders in order to reach their fundraising goals.

I could not keep up this fight without your support, and only together will we ever find a cure.

Livestrong!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Matt, Megan, Ethan

I sit here in front of the keyboard wanting to type so much information so many different ways.

1. Your a strong person and I'm happy to see your progress with the battle you have been going thru.

2. Your family looks great, even know I haven't had the honor to met Megan nor Ethan congrat's to all of you for finding each other.

3. Stay true to yourself - I say that for the simple fact of being a friend to me thru middle school and high school when I was an out cast.

I will continue to keep you in my thoughts and prayers so that you may continue your fight - I watched my mother-in-law go though this and today she has a clean bill of health.

Anonymous said...

As I was driving home from Tahlia's swim lesson yesterday, I saw several bicyclers. This isn't completely unusual in the area I was driving but it was something I was noticing. As I turned onto a small windy wooded road, I had to wait for another rider. I looked and he had a bright yellow riding shirt on that said in big letters LIVESTRONG. It made me think of you and this wonderful ride that is coming up.

I hope Friday gives you the best news yet! You are all in our thoughts, prayers and well wishes!

Megan

Amy said...

You're raising money for....gulp....Ohio State?!?!? I'm just kdding, of course I will contribute to this great cause. Everyone knows that I am a sucker for philanthropy, especially when it's directly related to someone I know and love!