Thursday, July 2, 2009

End of Two Rounds

I had my last chemo of round two this morning. My counts were low, but still higher than last week. White blood cells were 2.9 and neutrophils were 1.4. So I still have to take precautions to avoid infection, but my counts are slowly improving each week.

Next week is my off week from chemo, and I will spend it getting tests to see how effective these last two rounds of chemo have been. On Monday I will go in for yet another CT scan, on Thursday I will have my blood drawn to check my HCG, and then on Friday I will meet with the oncologist to review the results and discuss what is next. Next week will be a big week, and I will certainly need all of your thoughts and prayers.

I continue to feel better each day. In my last post a week ago I talked about a feeling that I had that my body was finally defeating the cancer. That feeling has persisted and I have decided not to sit and wait for the drugs to work on their own. I am taking matters more into my own hands. I have increased my jogging to 0.8 miles, and plan to run a mile in the next week or so. From there I will continue to run more and get stronger. I have been working out with the Wii fit, and I made it back to the gym on Monday. My blood counts peak on Mondays, so when I don't have Monday appointments I will be back at the gym. I am visualizing my healthy and strong cells destroying the remaining cancer cells, and I will force the cancer from my body.

I feel that it is only a matter of time until the cancer is gone, but the scientific data does not yet match what I am feeling. It is possible that it will take time for the measurable signs of the cancer to catch up what I am feeling is actually happening in my body. We will see what the test results reveal next week, but regardless of whether they match what I am feeling, I will continue to build my strength and tear down this cancer cell by cell.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

We are thinking of you and can't wait to see all of you in a couple of months! Anne, Seth, Myra and Sam

The Austin's said...

Matt-

You are an inspiration. The power of your thoughts magnified by all of us around the world sending positive energy will remove the cancer from you, cell by cell. You know your body better than anyone. Stay strong.

We are here in support.

Love,

Paul, Lisa, Ethan, and Jack Austin

Anonymous said...

Hi Dr. Matt,

Just wanted to let you know that we will all be thinking of you and praying for you that the results of the testing you will be undergoing will be another step in the positive direction. Keep that positive outlook!!!

Jackie

Downing said...

Good luck tomorrow Matt!!! We are all praying for you!!! luv, Jenn,Erik and Logan

Unknown said...

We are thinking of you often this week and sending all of our positive thoughts your way. We can't wait to see everyone in the Fall.

xoxo
Dana & Rob

Mary Witt said...

Good luck this week. Thinking of you and sending many prayers and hugs your way.

love - Mary & Reggie Witt

Dorie Davis said...

Dear Matt, I know you don't know me...however we are related by "marriage". AND! We met your darling wife in California, on her "show and tell" train. I have been following your progress through my "uncle Jimmy". All I can say is "you have a fantastic support group, and wonderful attitude!!!" Our prayers and thoughts will be in your corner!!! Hugs and Love...Dorie (Doris) Davis