I checked into the hospital this morning at 8:30, and spent the day in hurry-up-and-wait mode. I started chemo at 4:00. Most of the day was spent waiting around. I am 2 hours into chemo, and nearly done with the first drug, Etoposide.
So far I feel no symptoms. They did give me the usual regimen of anti-nauseau drugs (dexamethasone, emend, and zofran). So far they are working. My parents arrived this morning with a large batch of homemade chocolate chip cookies. Unfortunately I cannot eat any food prepared outside the hospital once chemo starts. So although I could not eat all of them today, I had to have a 'few' before chemo started.
Today is considered Day -5. Each day counts down to Day 0, which is the day that I receive my stem cells. After that they count the days up to Day 14. Those are days of monitoring blood counts and symptoms until I am in shape to go home. So Day -5, -4, -3 are chemo days. Day -2 and -1 are rest days. Day 0 is when I will receive stem cells. Then by Day 10-14 I will be ready to go home. During the days of monitoring they will give me antibiotics preventatively, and watching my blood counts. If my hemoglobin drops below 8 or my platelets drop below 10 they will give me additional blood transfusions. Currently my white blood cells are still high from the Neupogen injections, at 38.5. My Hemoglobin is 10.8 and my platelets are 60. So my numbers are starting out high, but they assure me that the chemo will change that quickly.
The room here is nice, very recently updated. I of course have a TV, but I also have a DVD player, CD player, mini fridge, and they are bringing me an exercise bike. The view is not quite what it was at St. Joe's, just a view of other buildings. It is better than the other rooms I have seen though.
Most of the day was instructions regarding restrictions to prevent infection. We also went over a lot of information regarding oral health care. It was something that I am very familiar with, and I was glad to see that their guidelines were correct. I think this is one part of my care that I will be able to keep on top of.
I am now just waiting for my dinner. They just brought in my exercise bike, so watch out Lance Armstrong, I will be chasing you down next year!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Dr. Matt, I am just catching up on the last several blogs. It is good to read your spirits are up and your humor shines through. We love and miss you here at the office. In case your dad forgot to tell you, Charlie Worden stopped by and wanted us to tell you he's thinking of ya.
Keep up the fight, - we are all praying. Lynn
Hi Matt and Megan,
I just read your updates and wishing you didn't have to be in Indianapolis. It is so nice to have the family and friends you have, obviously it makes many things easier. I will also admit to a few tears thinking about ordeal you are facing, I know it is tedious, scary and emotional draining...oh for home cooked meals, your own bed and a normal day! Given your fighting spirit, you will no doubt be able to enjoy the fruits of this treatment. All the best, Tammy Mans Ranck
Post a Comment