It's Thursday, January 15th, and I just have one more scheduled day of chemo on Tuesday. I have been feeling good this past week, just very tired. I completed my 5 day week of chemo last Friday, and spent the weekend doing my Rip Van Winkle impersonation. I pretty much slept the weekend away, except for a trip to my parents' house for dinner on Sunday. It was definitely good to get out of the condo. On Tuesday I had a treatment of Bleomycin that was uneventful. My white blood cell counts were at 2.6, and have likely continued to drop this week. I still feel better than I expected I would at this point, but each round has brought more fatigue. I don't feel sick, I just don't feel like doing much more than sleeping. I usually have a few hours a day when I feel energetic, so I have made a trip to the gym, a trip to the office, and a trip to the car dealership to pick up a new car.
The past three months have been a waiting game on many fronts. We are anxiously awaiting next weeks CT Scan to find out how successful treatment has been. We wait each week to hear the latest blood counts and tumor marker levels. We are still waiting to sell our condo, as our buyer is still waiting to get her financing approved. We finally crossed one thing off our list yesterday when we turned in my lease for a new car. In this time of waiting it feels great to actually cross something off of our to-do-list. We picked up a new Ford Flex and are very pleased with it after one day. It was snowing all day yesterday and the Flex handled very well in the snow. It has been a very snowy year so far in Michigan, and I can't wait to get the OK to take the new car Up North to do some skiing. Of course, that will have to wait a little bit longer.
Next week is a big week: Tuesday is the final day of chemo, Wednesday is my CT Scan, and Friday is the appointment with the oncologist to go over the results of the scan and decide on what the next steps will involve. I have several mixed feelings. I feel like the 3 months of treatment have gone by quickly, yet it also seems like I have been couped up in this condo forever. I am excited about finishing the treatment next week, but am a little anxious because it is not really finished. I feel strongly that the treatment has worked, because I feel so much better than I did at the start of treatment. At the same time, I am prepared for the likely fact that there is still some tumor tissue remaining in my chest and abdomen that will need further treatment. It is a strange mix of emotions that are both positive and cautious at the same time. Thankfully, soon we will have many answers and the waiting will be over. We will be on to the next step and it will be the final step of treatment. Thank you all for your support, we are almost there!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Hey Matt,
Fred filled me in and told me that you're doing well, and in good spirits. You've always been tough and resilient...I wouldn't have expected for you to change. I'll be praying for a speedy recovery.
I promise that the first big ski trip you go on after you're better, I'm buying your lift ticket. And we won't pretend that you're my 10-year-old son this time!
-Sage
nice to talk to you and megan the other day! hope you're staying warm :) nick and i send our positive thoughts to you as you wait for the next step. you have the best outlook, which is the most important thing, and very inspirational.
Love you guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Thinking of you on this big week.
I had a chance to check out the new car- Very cool- Good luck with everything this week!
Congrats on your last day of chemo!!! We both hope all goes well for the rest of the tests and such. It was great seeing Ethan a couple weeks ago and it is absolutely ridiculous how fast he is growing already. Can't wait to see you guys again and good luck on the rest of your tests!!!
-Jake (with some input from Casey)
thinking of you.
-karen
Post a Comment