Yesterday was my last scheduled day of chemo!! I have now completed 4 rounds of chemo and it feels great to be done. The chemo did kick my butt yesterday. I felt the worst following yesterday's treatment than any other day. Thankfully I got a good night of sleep (about 11 hours) and I felt good today. I guess the chemo just wanted to say a hearty farewell.
My white blood cells continue to be very low. The WBC count was 1.3, the lowest it has been throughout treatment. Of more concern was my neutrophil count, which was 0.4. Normally they want that to be at least 1.2 to continue with chemo, but given the nature of my cancer and the fact that is was my last treatment, my doctor gave me the ok to continue with the chemo. I will have to wait a couple of weeks before I have any surgery due to my counts being low and the risk of infection is high.
Today I had a CT scan, the results of which I will learn of on Friday. I feel confident that it will be good news. It is hard to believe that the 4 rounds are over. The tumors were found on October 20th, and now I have finished the standard treatment exactly 3 months later on January 20th. It seemed like such a long treatment when I started, but it did go by faster than I expected. I will likely have more treatment necessary to remove the remnants of the tumors, but the main treatment is over.
It has been quite a ride. I have a wonderful wife that has taken excellent care of me. I have also been amazed by the support I have received from so many of you. Thanks for your support, your love, and your prayers. I thought this blog would be just a simple way to keep people updated, but it has been a great source of support and strength throughout the 3 months. Thank you all, we are almost there.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment