It has been one year since the masses in my chest, abdomen, and lungs were found. At this time last year we were home with a 10 week old baby, breaking the news to my parents, and getting ready to call my sister with the news. We didn't know what type of cancer it was, but based on the pattern it was believed to be lymphoma. The radiologist had said it was too vascular to be lymphoma and offered testicular cancer as a possibility, but I had no signs or symptoms to support that. I was shocked, as we all were, but I was already confident that I would beat it, no matter what it was. If you had told me that I would still be battling the same tumors a year later I would not have believed you. On the other hand, if I had known that would prove to be the case, I doubt I would have ever believed that I could feel as well as I do after a year of chemo, including 8 different drugs and 2 rounds of high dose chemo. Nonetheless, here we are and I indeed feel much better than a year ago today.
On October 20, 2008, I woke up on a Monday morning with the plan of calling my doctor for an appointment because I had coughed up blood the day before. I had an appointment later in the week, but didn't feel I should wait. I had a bowl of cereal, but could only eat about half of it before I began throwing up. I had been unable to keep down much food for a week or so, but that morning was much worse. I cancelled my day at the office, and headed for my doctor's office. On short notice, I ended up seeing his nurse practitioner, whom I cannot say enough about. She did a wonderful job exploring all of the possible reasons for my persistent cough that had been getting worse for 4 weeks, as well as my many digestive pains and symptoms. It was her thoroughness that led to the chest x-ray that first revealed the mass in my mediastinum (area between the lungs around the wind pipe). The radiologist informed me of what she saw on the chest x-ray and recommended a CT scan. She then informed me that the scan showed a mass in my abdomen as well. She then wanted to do another CT scan with contrast dye, which meant I had to drink some not-so-pleasant 'shakes', which I have now grown accustomed to drinking. I went home with my shakes to prepare for the second scan, and to inform Megan of the news. She had been home with a sleeping baby Ethan.
The drive home was a tough one, but not as hard as telling your wife that you have cancer. I had a 10 week old baby, and I had spent the previous 10 weeks praying each night prayers of thanks for all that the Lord had blessed me with. I was sick and not feeling well, but I was the happiest I think I have ever been in my life. Now I had to tell my wife that I had cancer. She took it hard, but she also gave me a glimpse of the rock that she would be for me over the next 12 months. Megan is a strong woman to say the least.
We had my Mom come over to watch Ethan while Megan joined me for the second CT scan. After the scan the radiologist, Dr. Finazzo, showed Megan and I the images and explained them so we both understood them. She also was outstanding, and spent quite a bit of time going over everything. It helped us understand what we were facing, and made it easier to go home and tell our families.
On the way home, we called my Dad and asked him to come over for dinner after work, then we told my parents what we had learned. It had been hard earlier to act like nothing was wrong when my Mom came over to watch Ethan, but it was much harder to tell them the news. As a father, I can't imagine what it felt like to get that news. We spent some time looking at the scans, Dr. Finazzo had given us a copy of them on a disk, and we called my sister and Megan's parents. It is very hard to hear that you have cancer, but it was even harder to tell those you love, and those that love you, the news. It was a very long day, one that I will never forget, but certainly do wish that I could.
October 20, 2009 was much different. I woke up this morning before Megan and Ethan. That is something that I have not done in weeks. I felt great and was ready for an exciting day; taking Ethan to the pumpkin patch. Over the past several weeks I have had a really hard time waking up in the mornings. The chemo and the trips to New York were taking a toll on me, and maybe a greater one than I realized. It is strange to think that I found out yesterday that the cancer had grown, and that I woke up today feeling like a weight had been lifted from my shoulders, but that is how I felt. I guess those trips and the subsequent fatigue and neuropathy was taking both a physical and mental toll on my body. I do wish that we had received better news yesterday, but the fact that I will not be facing more chemo and more trips to NY seems to have given me a brighter outlook this morning.
My parents came over mid-morning, and the five of us headed off to Apple Charlie's to find some pumpkins. Ethan had a blast. We headed out in to the pumpkin patch and Ethan ran through the pumpkins smacking them with both hands, climbing on them, trying to pick them up, and grinning from ear to ear. He lead us all the way to the back of the field before we picked out some pumpkins to bring home; one for each of us, including one small enough for Ethan to carry himself. We did learn a valuable lesson though, pumpkins in the field look much smaller than when you get them home. We thought we did a good job picking out some average sized pumpkins. When we got back to weigh them we noticed the pre-picked ones were smaller. In the end, we came home with over 120 pounds of pumpkins for the 5 of us!
Of course we had to have cider and doughnuts, and we stopped for a late lunch on the way home. It was a great day. The sun was out, and it has warmed up in Michigan. We had a lot of fun watching Ethan run through the pumpkins, and I can't help but contrast this with what we went through a year ago. It has been a long year to say the least. We have come a long way, and we likely still have a long way to go, but even with cancer still alive in my body I am in a better place this year than I was a year ago. I feel stronger, I look better, and I am still happy with my life. I spent the day enjoying my family, and being reminded of all of the blessings the Lord has bestowed upon me. Certainly, not the least of which is my army of supporters out there cheering and praying me on. I will head back to Ann Arbor for another MRI tomorrow morning, and I will begin the second year of my battle with cancer. Thank you all for being here for me!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
26 comments:
Matt,
You are truly an inspiration. We cannot believe all that you and your family have endured and you all still have such a positive outlook. You all are in our prayers.
Dallas & Sharon
Dr. Matt,
What a wonderful day with your family! We are always praying for you and are believing for God's healing power to touch your life.
Theresa and Mark
Dear Matt,
Your words have brought me to tears yet again, and I'm so inspired by the person you are. Know that you're in our prayers. Ethan is so incredibly blessed to have you as his daddy, and I consider myself lucky to know you. Please remember that if you ever need anything (truly anything), we are here.
Kristen Shamus
Uday clan-
As many in your fan club do, we check in often but don't always write. You are a phenomenal guy who is helping all of us look at the world as that sunbeam that powers it's way through a stormy day. Thank you. Your fan club in Tucson is growing! Livestrong.
Paul, Lisa, Ethan, and Jack Austin
Matt and family,
What a wonderful way to spend a date you probably would like to forget! You are such a strong individual. I wish you all the best today during your MRI. We will be thinking of you all.
Megan
Matt - Words escape me. So-o-o... from one of the cheer squad -- Give me an "M", Give me an "A", Give me a "double T"! Best always to you and Megan and Ethan. And Mom and Dad and Kristen and Jack. Team Uday rocks.
Toni
Good to 'hear' you, even if the news is not all good. Unfortunately, God seems to be sticking to God's pace (God has made that a habit, but I think that God understands when we are a bit upset with God about these types of timing issues). I'm also glad that you all will have less traveling to do. Sounds like a great time at the 'patch; we're a bit behind you all, but I'm sure we'll have three jack-o-lanterns ready to go soon enough. The Almeida clan is with you. Anything that we can do...
Take care. FLH. God bless.
Hang in there, Matt. You have all of us Red Devil/Wolverines behind you.
Take care,
Ryan Bailey
Hey Matt, I'm soooo sorry it's taken me this long to get in touch with you, but believe me that not a day goes by that I don't think about you and hope the best for you and your family. I miss you and love you, my fellow redhead. I hope to talk with you soon! Until then, I'm glad I finally found your blog!
-p.s.- Sorry State beat you guys!
-nick hura
Matt and family, I have said so often that one of the pleasures of living in a small community is to know and see kids grow up. I remember you quite well in the babysitting coop, the various school and church activities. Due to technology and a devilish disease, you have invited your community to know you in quite a different way and boy, did you ever grow up well, to say the least! Tammy Ranck
Matt and Megan,
Your words are so inspiring! You are a fighter...and you have so much fight left. Lots and lots of prayers coming to you all! Hope to be up at Christmas time to see you guys. Have fun with Ethan this Halloween!
Bryan and Kacia
Matt,
You're in our thoughts and prayers. Sounds like your pumpkin experience was more exciting than trying to paint a pumpkin with Jack at school. He was more interested in walking around the park than painting. Looking forward to seeing you at 2010 HC on the field.
Tyler
Matt:
Thank you for the updates - I hope they provide as much comfort for you as they do Julie, Keegan, Katie and I. Your description of your day in the pumpkin patch wiyh your son is the stuff of dreams.
Cancer has exacted a steep toll in my family; however, one thing we have learned is that positive attitude and spirit is absolutely essential to defeating it and you my friend have got that in bucketloads!
God bless you, Megan, Ethan, your mom and dad and sister and all those others that keep you fired up to continue the fight.
Keep inspiring us all!!!
Dion Potter
Hi Matt,
I recently learned of you blog from a fellow MMB alum. Your strength, courage and faith, and that of your family, are amazing and inspiring! I will continue to keep all of you in my prayers.
Cindy Stoner
I check your blog regularly and think about you frequently. I feel so inspired after reading your blog enteries. My thoughts and prayers are with you, Megan and Ethan. Keep fighting!
mackenzie
Dear Matt,
I'm continually impressed with your strength and positivity. We're all rooting for you and keeping you in our thoughts and prayers.
All the best,
Jess Sawin
Matt, Megan, and Ethan
What a great family unit you are....Ethan is blessed to have strong, loving, Christian parents!
You are in my thoughts and prayers
for continued strength and healing.
Stay positive and keep fighting...you are an amazing individual! Love to all and many more days like the one in the patch :)
Kay Nevar
hugs to all of you.
((0_o)) <---- Pumpkin
Yay for First Halloweens!
>o< <---- Candy
^^0^^ <----Bat
Hello Matt,
You don’t know me - I’m a friend of your Saline friends and heard about you and your blog from them. I just had to write to tell you how inspiring and brave you are and how touched I was when I read your blog (which by the way is sooo well written). I admire how you are able to lift everyone’s sprits in the face of this adversity. Anyways, sending up prayers for you and your family from Texas.
-Suzanne
Matt- what an inspiration you are! I truly believe that our health is 90% attitude and you certainly have a positive attitude! With God you can overcome anything. Stay strong and focused! I love you.
Pam Allen
Matt,
I find myself thinking about you and your family often. My prayers are with you all. I'm so glad you are feeling well and strong. Between the power of prayer and your amazing outlook, I am sure that incredible results await you in year two of your battle. You are a huge inspiration to me. Much love to all of you!
Sammi
Matt,
I think of you often, and look forward to reading your blog. You are an inspiration to so many of us. Keep the faith!
Kacey
Matt,
I don't think we've seen each other since high school but I have read your blog here and there and have had you in my thoughts. Especially coming to Grosse Ile today and passing the office. You are so incredibly strong, positive, spiritual and inspirational. Keep fighting and living. You certainly had a great day at the pumpkin patch!
Dorothy (Garwai) Chan
Class of 1993
Matt,
Your story has touched me like no other...I read your blog and just think to myself that you are the strongest person that I know and truly an inspiration to all of us. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers, you have truly demonstrated to all of us what a true role model is. I wish you the best and have no doubt you will win this battle.
Bob Banks
God Bless Matt. There is no doubt, your son will one day know from the many that loved you, what an amazing man you were! I wish his family, friends, and wife strength throughout this difficult time. May memories keep his spirit alive for all.
Jennifer Henderson
Post a Comment