Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Hey everyone! We are still here, we have just had a couple of busy and challenging weeks. I am sorry it has been a few weeks since my last blog. We have gotten some calls of concern about what was going on. The last time I blogged was on September 21; my tumor marker had come back down to 3852 and I was awaiting results from a blood draw taken that day. Those results revealed the HCG had gone back up to 18977. Then at the end of the week it was up over 24,000, but the following Monday in New York they were down to just over 20,000. I received treatment that day and then had my tumor marker checked the following Thursday, October 1, and my HCG had dropped down to 7852. That is the latest info that we have. The roller coaster tumor marker ride continues to roll on. I am headed to Ann Arbor today and will have it checked once again, then it is back to New York on Monday for the final treatment of the second round. I suspect that my tumor marker will be back up if it continues to follow the pattern, but I also have a CT scan scheduled for next Friday. Hopefully that will provide us with some explanation of what these numbers mean, and I am confident it will be good news.


It has been a challenging couple of weeks watching these numbers go up and down, because there does appear to be an upward trend with the numbers. The low numbers get higher each time, and the high numbers get even higher. These are the highest numbers I have seen since last fall. That is discouraging and scary. At the same time, we don't know what they mean. That also makes it scary, but it also means that we shouldn't spend much time worrying about it until we do know what it means. That is often easier said than done. The reality is that we don't have enough information to assess what is happening. We have tumor marker numbers that make no sense to anyone. We have a CT scan from after the first round that show some sign of necrosis, which is encouraging. I can also say that I am feeling good. The chemo is taking a greater toll on me, as is the travelling. Last week I was wiped out for the week, which is why you didn't see me posting to the blog. So it is sometimes hard to judge how I am feeling, but when I think back to how I felt last year at this time, I am feeling tremendously better. I was miserable last October. At this time I was coughing uncontrollably, I could not eat, and I was undergoing tests to figure out what was causing it. At this point I was gearing up for the wonderful experience that is a colonoscopy! This year, I have a lot of fatigue, and I alternate between weeks of feeling great, and feeling terrible, but that is due to the chemo. What does this mean? I have made great progress in the last year. I don't know exactly what is happening with this treatment yet, but I can say without any doubt that I am better today than I was last October. That is progress, that is undeniable, and there are no numbers than can change that!

13 comments:

Biddle Gallery said...

Great to hear from you.

Anonymous said...

Hi Dr. Matt,

Thanks for the blog. Keep up the spirits! We are all thinking of you and praying for you! Good luck in the week ahead, maybe there will be some answers to the questions.
Take care,
Jackie

Anonymous said...

Go Matt Go!!
Dan

Anonymous said...

Dr. Matt,

We are always praying for you. Hope your week goes well and you do find those answers. My son asked me the other day if I could buy him a Lance Armstrong bracelet. I asked him "Why" he said, "because I want Dr. Matt to feel better, and I want to support him." I just thought that was something coming from a 7 year old. You really have inspired a lot of people. Keep up the fight!
Mark and Theresa

Anonymous said...

Hi Dr. Matt, On those days when you're not feeling so good, just imagine your army of friends and family there surrounding you in a huge blanket of love and prayers.
Keep strong.
Lynn

Anonymous said...

Matt -- Thanks for the update. I saw your mom at church today and she said she had been getting a lot of calls wondering if you were okay. I am so glad to hear that you are plugging along, even though the numbers are so screwy. E-hugs to you all!

Toni

Anonymous said...

Matt,

Great to see you on here again! Don't apologize, you have a right to take a hiatus from the blog from time to time. Know that even if we don't see you on here, not a day goes by that you aren't in our thoughts and prayers. Hugs to Megan and Ethan too! Good luck this week!

Megan

Anonymous said...

Great to see you guys this weekend. I'll have pictures posted by the time you get back from NY! - Anne

Anonymous said...

That is a "marker rollercoaster" ride for sure. I hope your trip this week will take care of the rollercoaster ride you have been on. Be strong and keep the collective good wishes, cheers, tears and care close to your heart. Tammy Ranck

Anonymous said...

Matt, Megan and Ethan,

It was really great to see you all this weekend. We had a great time with everyone and it felt just like old times....except all the kids running around! You both looked great and were wonderful hosts to us. We look forward to returning the favor to you in CA some day soon.

xoxo
Dana and Rob

The Campfire Gourmet said...

We are still here too! Cheering you on and praying for you and your family.

ebooker said...

I am glad to see a post from you. I think of you often and I know that reading your blog and thinking of what has happened with you over the past year impacts me when I take care of patients. As many of the other comments say, your impact on the lives of others is large and important and I am proud to call you my friend. Fight like hell
Booker

Anonymous said...

Hi Matt
Ran into Seth at a CE and he told me what was going on.. Will be praying for you. If you need anything let me know (childcare while you are running to AA or anything).
Karen Soderquist