My counts on Thursday were back down to 3852, and no one knows what that means. It certainly is better than if they had risen further, but it doesn't explain anything. My doctors have said that it is not uncommon to see some fluctuations of tumor markers, but not of this degree; one thousand points here or there, but not eight to ten thousand points. We are going to continue with the clinical trial, follow the HCG closely, and then get another CT scan after the end of this round (two more treatments).
There are several theories on what is happening that might explain the tumor marker swings, but they are just theories and would be very difficult to test. Not to mention that none of them would really fit with the pattern of my rising and falling tumor marker. My general assumption is that this treatment is clearly doing something; whether it is good or bad or will lead to a cure, we do not know yet. I remain hopeful based on the necrosis seen on the last CT scan, and that I still feel good. I ran a continuous mile on Friday, the first time I have run a mile continuously in nearly a year. My previous runs were all broken up with periods of walking. The chemo makes me feel punk for a few days, but then I bounce back with greater strength, and a little more fatigue. I still have a lot of fight left, and hopefully in the next few weeks my tumor marker and CT scan will start to make some sense.
Livestrong!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
12 comments:
i'm beginning to think there's another matt uday and your files are mixed up. that's the only explanation i can come up with since you look fantastic and you do way more than people who are supposedly healthier.
Glad to hear they're moving forward. FLH. Livestrong.
It must be so frustrating to have these ups and downs, but we are so glad to hear about your successes at staying physically active.
And...of course...GO BLUE! I bet you guys (and Fred) enjoyed going to the ND game. 3-0 is a nice feeling, huh?
Heather (Fred's "mom")
Hopeful that these ups and downs are finally showing that cancer is losing! Keep up the momentum...you can do it!
Megan
Matt, I remember you saying in an earlier post from this summer about how with one of the treatments you underwent, it wasn't uncommon to see the tumor marker rise initially as the cells began dying and releasing the marker into the blood stream. I wonder if it could be the same thing happening with this course of treatment? Have they had similar indications with any of the other patients in the study? (Or are you still the only one in the study so far?)
Hang in there.... Time will tell, but it's good to see the counts coming back down. As you said, it may now begin to correlate with the scan results.... We've all got our fingers crossed for you!!
Every individual is a case study of one; sounds like you're breaking the mold on what is "expected" to happen and possibly charting new territory not only for yourself but for patients in the future. Keep up the fight!!!
Gary Olsen
hugs to you kids.. and go blue ( i can say that now that the ND game is over ) .
KEEP ON FIGHTING!
DAVE
Hi Matt, I sent you an email to your umich account which I'm not sure if you use anymore. If you didn't get it please email me: jeff@thefreyfamily.net
It was so great to see you marching out on that field today! Go Matt, and Go Blue! :)
Matt - It does seem confusing. We will, of course, hope and pray for the best possible outcome and for your inner peace and strength through it all! I rode the Katy Trail last week and 100 miles of it were for you! E-hugs to you and yours.
Just wanted to say hi and that we're keeping you in our thoughts and prayers. Sven and I were wondering if you would be out there with Alumni Band at the game. I'm glad to see your latest results. All the best!
Jess (Bailey) Sawin
Post a Comment