I just had my port accessed for chemo; the premeds are running and I am waiting for the chemo to arrive. I met with Dr. Winegarden this morning and we discussed my counts and chemo. Thankfully I am able to proceed with treatment. He was disappointed to see that my HCG had risen, but agreed that the decreased rate at which it was rising may be a good sign. I will have chemo today and next Thursday, then we will have another CT Scan on July 6 to see how things have changed. So it is business as usual for another week, and then we will re-evaluate.
My WBC count is at 2.6 and my neutrophils are 1.4. That is slightly higher than last weeks numbers, so the Neupogen shots are doing their job. I will continue with them this weekend to boost my counts back up again for next week.
I continue to feel great! I jogged again yesterday and have greatly increased the distance. I can now run between a quarter and a half mile. I also now have a Wii and a Wii Fit. A Wii is an interactive video game system, and Wii Fit is a game that helps you work out. There is a computer animated trainer that leads you in yoga, aerobics, strength, and balance training. It is very cool and it is an excellent workout. Thank you to Megan and several friends that went in on purchasing this for me for Father's Day! It was a great gift and it is a great help these weeks that I cannot go to the gym.
This past week I feel like something has changed. I can't quite put a finger on it, but I have felt a new confidence growing, and I feel like I am truly beating this cancer now. If you have been reading this blog for awhile, you know that I have felt confident since day one, but this feels different. I don't know if I can truly describe this feeling, but it is as if I have been trying to coerce the cancer to behave for 8 months, and my body has finally decided it has had enough. It is time to shape up or ship out. The cancer has had it's opportunity to shape up, so now it is time to ship out. It is almost as if I can feel the healthy cells in my body taking over and saying, "We have had enough; we are taking over and the cancer is done."
I can't point to anything scientific to support this feeling, as I am sure that any tests or scans would still show active cancer at this point. In fact, the data may indicate just the opposite is happening, but when the day does come that I receive a clean bill of health, I will point to June 25, 2009 as the day the tide turned. It is just a feeling I woke up with today. It is something that I feel in my heart, my soul, and in my bones. I feel that I have turned the corner on cancer and I will not look back from here!
I have been to hell and back twice now, but I don't plan on logging any more frequent flier miles! I am too strong and too determined to allow this cancer to beat me, and I declare that today is the beginning of the end of my cancer! If you think that I have fought hard thus far, you have not seen anything yet!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
11 comments:
Amen!!!!
hey matt,
in wii boxing create an opponent called cancer then kick the crap out of it. it will be fun to see it go down!
Amen, brother.
Matt, you the man. Looking forward to seeing you this summer if possible. Keep fighting and you are right it is time to shipout. We keep you in our prayers.
Wii Fit is the best! Have you tried the skiing game yet? I found it incredibly challenging, but you will probably be really good at it since you actually skii (hula hooping is more my style :)
I agree with whomever suggested to create a boxing opponent called cancer. Will be very satisfying to watch it fall in a corner!
I love my Wii and Wii Fit!! The yoga is surprisingly good! We just got Punch Out about a week ago...haven't tried it out yet, but it looks like you can use the Wii balance board in 1 player mode to dodge and duck. I'll let you know how it goes.
Keep on kicking that cancer's butt!
All my best to you and your family (and happy belated Father's Day!).
-Michelle Anderton
You are an amazing guy Matt, an inspiration. I hope that on that day when you are cancer free and look back on this year that you will find a way to make this blog into a book and share it. I think your courage, your faith, and your honesty would make a real impact on people with cancer and the people who take care of them.
Matt~
A Scripture that came to mind... you will want to read all of 2 Corinthians 4:7-18 - but i will just share a portion of what the Spirit brought to my heart after reading your most recent posting..
"Therefore do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal."
2 Corinthians 4:16-18
Love and blessings to you and your whole family.
Love In Christ,
Erin
What a great post to read. Thanks for sharing what's going on in your heart and mind... and I'm with Erin, above, on the Scripture-- what great words. Maybe you can use those freq. flier miles to go someplace really wonderful when this is all done.
Keep up the fight and know that the Peakes are in your corner! (hi to Megan & Ethan, too). :) Kimber Peake (on behalf of the three of us)
Matt,
We will be thinking of you all this week and hoping for some great news! I am so glad you continue to feel better, keep that momentum!
Happy 11 months to Ethan...can you believe he is almost a year?
Megan
Post a Comment