Sunday, June 14, 2009

Counts are Down; Off-Week Comes Early

It's another beautiful Sunday morning in Michigan. We are enjoying our new home with eastern facing windows on these sunny mornings. Ethan never fails to make sure we are up to enjoy the mornings!

I had an appointment for chemo on Thursday morning. Unfortunately my blood counts had dropped even lower and the doctor cancelled the chemo. My WBC's were down to 1.7, and my neutrophils were down to 0.8. The key is the neutrophil count. When I was in the hospital in Indiana they would not release me until my neutrophils were up to 1.5. Last week my count was at 1.1, but they went ahead with chemo. This week at 0.8 it was just too low. I was very disappointed that I could not proceed with chemo, but it was the right thing to do. The reason I had treatment in Indy was to have the stem cell rescue. They transplanted my own stem cells because the chemo took my counts so low that my body would not have rebounded without the infusion of stem cells. With counts at 0.8, I can't afford to let it go much lower or my body may not recover on it's own.

So I have been giving myself a shot of Neupogen every day; a medication to stimulate the bone marrow to produce more blood cells. It is the same thing I took before treatment in Indy to boost my counts. I will be back in AA tomorrow morning to check my counts and am scheduled for chemo on Thursday again. This week was scheduled for a week off from chemo, but now we are counting last week as my off-week and we will proceed with treatment this week. I will also have my HCG checked on Thursday, so we may have an idea of how well this treatment is working by the end of the week.

I continue to feel good. I am certainly more tired this week, and the numbness in my feet is increasing. My left foot seems to be the worse of the two for some reason. My right foot is only slightly numb. It doesn't really slow me down, though, I have grown used to it and can still walk and even run. I jogged a little on Wednesday and on Saturday morning. I still can not jog very far, but am increasing the distance slightly each time. We are still speaking in terms of a few hundred yards, but it feels good to be making progress.

I do have to stay home and quarantine myself again due to the low counts. That means I won't be able to attend the Livestrong class at the Y this week, and no more fresh fruits and vegetables. The risk of infection is just too great. Thankfully I can get outside in the nice weather and get some exercise. I can also do most of my strength training at home with an exercise ball and some resistance bands. It is amazing how effective those can be when you know what you are doing with them. The hard part is giving up the fresh fruits and vegetables. I have really enjoyed my healthier lifestyle since returning from Indy, and have been loading up on fruits and veggies. This is the perfect time of year to do that. Veggies are easy enough to cook, but fruit is a little more difficult. Megan is planning on making me some blueberry muffins though. Hopefully this chemo will deal the decisive blow this time, and I will be able to enjoy the fruits of summer soon.

Thank you all for the overwhelming response to the last blog. You all inspire me! There have been many days that I have logged on to find your comments and they remind me of how lucky I am to have so many family and friends that care for me. You have been pushing me along for nearly 8 months now, and I sense that the finish line is just around the corner. I know that when I finally cross that finish line, cancer free, you all will be waiting with open arms. I can almost see you in the distance, and I am ready to start my sprint to the end.

10 comments:

The Campfire Gourmet said...

Matt and Family, Sorry to hear that you had to take a week off but you will get back at it soon. You have out support as much as always. Megan and Eithan we are thinking of you as well. Keep up the fight and Know we are thinking of you.

Regard,
Mark Faust and Family

Toni Mann said...

Matt - So sorry about your new quarantine. I am glad to hear that your strength continues to improve. E-hugs to you and Megan and Ethan!

Toni

Jamie said...

As a younger man I would have said, "What?!? You're not allowed to eat fresh fruits and veg? Who's got it better than that?!?" Now I can understand the bummery-ness of that a little better.

Continue with the feeling better part and to heck with the other stuff, that's what I say. So say we all.

Have a good week and stay +.
Love, J+E

Biddle Gallery said...

hey matt, megan and ethan,

always, always thinking of you and reading your blog. you and megan are an amazing inspiration to us all. i have passed your blog onto others.

these set backs are truly sad, but i hope the love and admiration we have for you gives you as much strength as you have given every one of us reading your blog.

i hope the finish line is nearer and you will get better sooner.

love to you and the entire Uday family,

-karen

Jeff Grogan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jeff Grogan said...

Hey Matt, its been a very long time. I've recently been in touch with Seiji who lives very close to me, funny how these things work out. How is your sister? I hope we can catch up soon. We'll be sending good thoughts your way and I'll keep checking the blog.

Go Blue and Go Matt!

Jeff and Lee Grogan

The Austin's said...

Matt and Family-

You're now part of our daily checks as we look forward to hearing about your positive energy and motivation.

Sorry to hear about your loss of the fresh veggies and fruits. Ethan doesn't think that sounds so bad. Here's to a good next week.

All the best,
Paul, Lisa, Ethan, and Jack

The Kelsey's said...

Matt,

We are inspired by the mental and physical strength you have shown in spite of your setbacks. You are in our prayers.

Regards,
Dallas & Sharon

The Duke Family said...

Matt,
It's been too long since we've seen you, and we are grateful to Seiji for updating us on your progress. We are praying for you daily and your blog is an amazing way to connect. Your Ethan is adorable, although we've never met an Ethan that isn't:)

~Aaron, Jodi, Ethan and Madeleine

Anonymous said...

hey Matt - sounds like you are back to running farther than me...all kidding aside, congrats on the more than fair fight you are staging against cancer.

Em and I are thinking of you and can't wait until we get our next chance to see you, Megan and Ethan.
Andy