Happy Father's Day to all of you Dad's out there! I am looking forward to my first Father's Day tomorrow. I suppose it is a bit ironic that my cancer came coupled with one of the greatest things that has ever happened in my life, fatherhood. I don't know where I would be right now without my little buddy! It is great to be a Dad!
I was able to go ahead with another treatment of chemo on Thursday. My counts had dropped tremendously from Monday though. My WBC were down to 2.7 and my neutrophils were back down to 1.2. It is amazing how quickly they fluctuate. The plan now is to count this past Thursday as Day 1 of Round 2, and I am back on the Neupogen shots to get my counts back up so that I don't have to miss a week. Hopefully with the shots I can get in a full 3 weeks this round. I still am feeling great, and that is helping me to keep going. Normally they will not do chemo when neutrophils drop below 1.5, but this is the second time they have allowed me to push ahead because I am feeling and looking so well. They also backed off of the decadron, so I was able to get some sleep on Thursday night. This time I fell asleep at 10 pm, but woke up at 3 am and was up for the rest of the night. I guess half a night of sleep is better than no sleep.
They did check my HCG on Thursday as well, and it is up to 848. You may recall that the last HCG level was about 250 three weeks ago. It is difficult to say what this means at this time because I only had 2 days of chemo in the first round. I am encouraged by this number because it may at least show that the HCG is not rising as fast. When I had it checked weekly for 3 consecutive weeks prior to this chemo, it was more than doubling each week. If that had continued the HCG would now be over 2000. So in that regard 848 looks pretty good. I will have an appointment with the doctor on Thursday before my next dose of chemo and will see what he thinks then. I don't expect that anything will change; this is still pretty early and we will hopefully see a drop in the HCG after 3 more weeks of chemo.
The next few weeks will be a game of alternating between chemo and Neupogen; pumping up my blood counts only to knock them back down. This should also continue to knock down the cancer as they pump more chemo into me. This will keep me home most of the time since my blood counts are so erratic. I truly feel stronger and stronger everyday though, and I feel like this cancer is just barely hanging on. If I could only find it's fingers I would pry them loose and kick it out the door. Maybe a few more weeks of Taxol and Gemzar will do just that!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
11 comments:
Happy Father's Day Matt! We hope that you continue to feel good and that your treatment goes well!
Enjoy your day. :)
Megan
Hi Matt, Happy Father's Day! Not sure if you remember me from MMB, it's Jill (Yamashita), Alto Sax! I was in MMB from 1991 to 1995. Heather and Seiji both shared your blog with me and I just wanted to let you know what an inspiration you are! You will be victorious in this fight because we are Wolverines after all! Keep those spirits up and Go Blue! : )
Hi Matt
As any enginerd will tell you, it's all about tracking data over time. Isolated data points can be misleading. But tracking over time helps differentiate between systemic and random error.
And, in case Fred and Diana forgot to tell you, Steve and I finally got married on the 12th. Yep, another pair of enginerds wound up together. I think we have some sort of weird genetic magnetism to those that use calculators and spreadsheets. :)
Happy Father's Day! Hope you guys have a great day!
Heather (Fred's "mom")
Hey Matt, Happy First Father's Day!
Tell Ethan that HE needs to spoil YOU today; not the other way around. But in reality, I'm sure you're gonna end up spoiling him because he's just ridiculously adorable.
I hope you, Ethan and Megan all have a nice day!
Hi Matt,
Happy Father's Day.
You and your family are amazing. I am grateful to Seiji for posting your site.
Katie (Wehrle) Aguilar
Happy Father's Day Matt. We spent the day with the boys, listening to our oldest play the Victors with his cymbals. I seriously think he knows all the words too. So, if Ethan ever needs a "marching buddy" give us a ring. Hope you had a great weekend with your family.
Love, Jen and Jorge
M, M, & E:
Happy Father's Day!! Remember we love you, and we hope you had a fantastic day enjoying time together as a family. Thanks for helping us remember what's really important...family, and faith.
Amy and fam
Happy Father's Day! I hope yours was as nice as mine. Still thinking of you and your family, of course. Go Blue!
Almeida
(FLH)
Matt, Megan and Ethan,
We enjoyed your beautiful pictures and can't believe how big Ethan has gotten. He is just adorable and looks so happy!! We continue to keep you all in our thoughts and prayers. The grace you have shown through this very difficult journey has inspired and made all of us just a little more grateful for all the things we take for granted. Thank you for that. We will all help you beat this!!! Mike and Shirley Tracy
Hi Matt, happy belated Father's Day to you. I saw your link on Seiji's Facebook page and wanted to pass along my best wishes for a full and speedy recovery. Your son will soon learn just how lucky he is to have you as his dad. He must have great teeth already! Best regards,
dave meretta
meretta@umich.edu (yep, still got it!)
Happy Father's Day! >_< Forgive the fact it's not longer Sunday.
Thinking about you guys and wishing you well! Miss you three.
Post a Comment